SRT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is cool you were able to make your own version of clip n steps, Bermy. After buying a pair I will never go back to a foot loop.

I now have a saka mini and love it, the only change I made was to weave a loop with throw line into the eyelets of my left boot so the lower tether clips right into it, no need for separate footloops (I kept losing them anyway) or expensive 'clip 'n step' boots.

I'd love to see a picture of that so I can copy your idea and not go through the mistakes learning curve.

I needed to replace my foot loop. A stiff step from On Rope 1. Knee ascender clips right into it and you can just leave it on your foot as you work. The stiff insert fell out of it after some wear, i like it better that way for limb walking. It's basically an ankle type strap that also runs under your foot arch.
I ordered 3 with the delta link i use on it. But in a Soft Step version. No metal insert under foot. So.
Levi gets one, I get one, a buddy gets to try my old working one (just looks a little tattered), and the Tree House gets one to pass around.
Still have to send that saddle to Sean. If he wants to try the foot loop first, i can send it with saddle. If not, maybe Gary?
I'd like to try it, please!

You got it Sean, I'll send it out with the saddle once they get here. Thought I would check with you before I sealed it up. Seems like everything takes forever these days when it's shipped.

That is definitely on the to do list. I have a couple other videos of me using it, but nothing instructional. I really do need to put something together.

A very good idea. I used mine the other day for a speed line anchor.

It is also useful as a climber tensioned/ released speed line connection up top.

Couple ropes and a handful of speed line/ Double-whip tackle slings, and a solo climber can accomplish a lot.

:thumbup:

Hey you have that crazy rope advancer -around-a-limb tool there, how do you like it.

Guess I'll have to grow a mustache, if that is what it takes.

I'm so bummed out, that I don't get to meet you this summer.

Smh whoever thought of that. F'g humans!

Guess I'll have to grow a mustache, if that is what it takes.

I'm so bummed out, that I don't get to meet you this summer.

Mustache is definitely optional, LOL.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for next year, Sitg.

:thumbup:

Hey you have that crazy rope advancer -around-a-limb tool there, how do you like it.

It is a nice tool, Cory. I'm still getting used to what I can and can't do with it. I found that if I'm careful, I can pull a not just a rope end over a branch but also a bight of rope. Doing so opens up more possibilities.

I would like to try one that had a larger capacity while at the same time being lighter.

Last edited:
A bight of rope brings this question to mind for @kevin bingham - in the treestuff interview, you mentioned starting your srt journey in those short, thick, bushy texas trees and you mentioned doing alternate lanyard technique using base tied SRT from the ground for ascending, similar to the way one would do it with Ddrt. If I understood that right, can you give and idea how that would work, I can't envision it. Thank you.

And it's also interesting to me that those type of trees lent themselves to SRT, seems like they'd be well suited to basic Ddrt, but maybe their bushy density made the non-changing friction of SRT a great choice, sorta like in that magnolia I mentioned earlier

Yeah Cory. The fact that I was paid by the tree, and the trees were close together, SRT was perfect in that I could move horizontally through the intertwined canopy for my whole length of rope and get 3 or 4 or 5 trees with one climb and the friction was consistent.

To advance rope, I normally take a bight of rope, using my device as a weight and throw the bight through the next crotch. When I get to my final destination I can pull the tail through. Its pretty much the same as advancing ddrt. When I was working in that FEMA job in Texas, I really also began to appreciate ladders. I had always felt ladders were for amateurs but a 20 foot ladder ended up making my like soooo much easier.

Thank you for the info. Love the ladder comment! Wow I didn't know you were doing 3-5 trees at a shot, that is crazy!

While on the subject, just curious, what led you to 'storm chase' and have you done any other storm events too? In TX, did any other tree guys notice your srt approach and what did they say about it?

Last edited:
That was the one and only time I did storm work. Right during the 2008 crash. I was pretty hungry for work. I was influenced by the guy who brought me down there, this guy named Joey Cornell. Amazing climber, had trained with tactical forces and stuff, super into guns and climbing and also pills :(.

He was very good at SRT climbing for access and showed me a lot in that regard. . He had great stories and described training with the tactical guys where they would throw a line over buildings and then two guys access the roof using their body weight to tie off. They could get on top of a building in seconds. We worked with us seldom, but man the way he would fly up the trees effortlessly using SRT was inspiring. He would switch to ddrt at the top.

I had experience with SRT for access from before but was pretty much footlocking and then switching to ddrt. He opened my eyes to the possibilities for sure.

I was way over promised and under delivered financially so I left that experience jaded with storm work. But it was definitely a part of my life where I was pushed to the limit and grew tremendously.

Wow, really cool background there, thanks for sharing!

So the srt- toss-rope-over-building-thing, the 2 guys would counterbalance each other/ no tying off the rope? Crazy!!

Ive heard of that in rock climbing, 2 guys simul-rappeling off of one rope hanging with it's approximate mid point on an anchored biner. But it killed noted climber Brad Gobright recently when he inadvertently rapped off his end of the rope, fell and died. His partner fell too of course when Brad's weight disappeared off the rope, but a much shorter distance and landed on a ledge and survived.

I was way over promised and under delivered financially so I left that experience jaded with storm work. But it was definitely a part of my life where I was pushed to the limit and grew tremendously.

Indeed. So many things in life work like that- bad on the surface, fantastic in the bigger picture.

Cory, that is not a problem with the system, but a problem with him not having a knot at the end of his rope.
Happens to the best of us, Just ask Jerry Beranek.
Got me flunked the second time I tried to get certified in Denmark.
Had to climb a beech with extremely narrow crotches, so I told then ahead of the climb, that I wasn't going to use a knot on the end of my rope, since I was climbing a 25 meter tree on a 60 meter rope.
Guess what they flunked me for.
Thjat was the one that went international and made sure I can never get certified in Denmark again.
+

Back