ROPE - swinging - climbing - stump jumping

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Almost a year ago, Alex hung a rope in the front yard maple tree at his house. The boys have swung and climbed it almost daily. It's been good to see the progress they have made with it. Folks worry about fitness of kids these days. These boys do their fair share of computer stuff...quite a bit...but they get some good balance (in several ways!) with this rope.

This is when they were first developing the mount and perch technique.

This is what they have evolved to:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have some other footage of some pretty amazing one handed swinging, hands only climbing and stump jumping. I'll get that posted soon.

Ha...you are right, Jonny...hadn't thought of that. We sometimes set up Tarzan ropes at some of our training camps.

Jon...they make me crazy doing things in flip flops...I always wear boots. Landon does LOTS barefoot...Neanderthal stuff.

in flip flops no less!
The foot lock is really hard.
Once in a climbing contest, an arborist went here only as a guest/lurker in relax mode, no gear, nothing but Tshirt, short and tongs. He ended involved in a a dumb gamble : footlocking up the official footlock competition rope, dressed as he went. Every one around was laughing loud before this "impossible" task. But he did it! Hat off to him.
When he came back on the ground, we saw that his skin was badly scratched over his feet and shins from the rope's friction. Tough guy.

Cool thread!

Mad core strength and grip strength developing in those youngins!

Some of the one-handed stuff I still need to post will probably blow your mind.

I will measure it. I'm not sure. More than an inch but I think less than two. It's synthetic which makes it soft but it's also kind of slick. I have to wear gloves to get any kind of a decent grip... They're doing it bare handed.

That looks great.

We have a few trees around my place but only pine and spruce. Pretty difficult to get a ropeswing going as they are very upright.

In other news though. We built the trampoline last weekend. Torstein, the youngest (9) has been on there pretty much constantly, unless he is eating or sleeping. He has been able to back and front flip a couple of years now, but he has taught himself backflips from standing. Still on the trampoline but no pre bouncing.

He wants to get them down in the flat. He is also practicing for next years snowboarding, backflips with the different grabs.

Same as Gary mentioned, they are on the computers, pads and phones too much. At least now the snow has gone, they get fit on the trampoline, skating and swimming in the fjord.

Healthy kids, peace and quiet for the parents. Win, win if ever there was one.

Last edited:
More one-armed stuff. There's strength and then there's strength. Hayden, who is now 15, my grandson, has a remarkably strong discipline concerning his physical training. He has developed his own program to train agility, dexterity, mobility, strength, stamina. He takes input from his father, Alex, and me and has done a remarkable job of developing exceptional strength and agility. I've shared some of his rope shenanigans before. He has been training pull-ups regularly as part of his routine and has worked up to 25 which is a remarkable number in itself. Today he did his first one-armed pull-up. I have never personally known anyone that could do that. Cool to see a grandson develop such a skill.

That is awesome stuff. And indeed very cool to see your Grandson do it.

I'm actually a little surprised that you can't do one arm pull-ups, just knowing you!;)

With those skills and abilities, is he doing any rock climbing indoors or outdoors? His capabilities kind of scream out for it IMO

The rope climb, I heard echos of an old coach 'feel the burn, learn to love it'.
I was glad to see him come down ok, that he had enough left to control his descent :)

Back