Need a climber?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lolz. I'm from Arizona, 117°F, 0% humidity. Stay hydrated, seek the shade.

As a carpenter, it's "Haul ass, let's make some shade!"

As an arborist, I drag ass, knowing I'm getting rid of my shade...

I don't like the valley heat, that's why I live on the mountain. That said, I've made plenty of money from sweating in the desert.

Ice tea, no sugar, by the gallon, from a thermos bottle. Teeth hurt level of cold.

Always put your tools down in the shade, that is, if you want to pick them up again...

I hate working under lightplants, but I suppose I might feel differently if the alternative was AZ sun.

Slowly, Gerry.
The one time I came close to heatstroke, I had my bushfire turnout gear on (jacket/pants), chainsaw chaps over, half face respirator, gloves, helmet, goggles.
I had to fall a burning stump.
Took 20 mins and a few bottles of water to catch myself after. Ruined my boots, the soles separated from the uppers.

Surely they now keep cool vests in the freezer and in coolers out on site, because that could boost your performance greatly.

Surely they now keep cool vests in the freezer and in coolers out on site, because that could boost your performance greatly.
Nope.
We are supplied with endless water, electrolyte powder for the trucks.
Our training includes fatigue management and symptoms of overheating, and keeping enough water and snacks on the trucks to supply the crew for an initial time out on a a job.
Everyone keeps an eye out for everyone else and crew leaders are responsible for the crew's welfare.
Bring your own Brigade cooler with ice, if you've got the time.
We are well fed if it drags on for a while. A Group Officer or Field Officer goes and hunts out food from the closest town or truck stop,
On multi day/week fires the SES comes along and manages the Staging area and organizes food and drinks.
Did I mention fatigue management??? They rotate you off the fireground once you reach your maximum allowed hours

Back