• Hey Guest,
    Just a heads up, The Tree House will be unavailable for about 10-15 minutes starting at 5pm CST tonight. This is just a super quick maintenance period.

Thanks!
    Brandon

Guess the quantity of ropes, win a prize

lxskllr

Treehouser
It would be interesting to see the full setup. I guess that's what you do when you don't have a crane.

Treeaddict

Treehouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m wondering if he’s tied into many small tops and needs the load spread? I’ve seen a local video by Brads Tree Removal where he took a fairly large tree off a 2 story roof using no more than 5 ropes from what I remember.

flushcut

TreeHouser
We did a cottonwood storm damage that we had something like 1500’ of rope involved. One porty alone had 50’ of sling. There are pics of the trunk somewhere on here.

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Had a good size piece of Sugar Maple top break out over customers shed ... same approach just not as complex. Branch tips lodged in a Hemlock on other side of the shed , 20" at the butt of the break which was almost but not finished breaking ... same approach but didn't need the GRCS. After climbing and setting a couple of lower lines slings and blocks and two port o wraps w slings , plus two pull / control lines and a small hand winch and another
sling ... thought to myself , glad I have all this gear ! ... Got it set with entire mess secured first session and started cutting out broken Hemlock limbs until I ran out of light , overnight the Maple break finished peeling off the little holding wood remaining , walked in next day to see just about the whole thing had dropped into the rigging , harmlessly swinging in the breeze safely suspended over the shed ...

Last edited:

cory

Tree House enthusiast
In the pic, it must have been fun watching the huge butt of the top heading toward the roof

Last edited:

Treeaddict

Treehouser
In the pic, that must have been fun watching the huge butt of the top heading toward the roof
I’d have messed my britches if up there making that cut seeing it fly so close to the roof.

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Looking at it I sincerely doubt that it dropped that far into that much rigging unless there was a ridiculous amount of slack , seems they used the GRCS to lower it some after the cut ... just a guess
I’d say you are correct and it was probably lowered. But, if it wasn’t………