Rope access guy seeking experience in the trees

Roundhouse

Treehouser
Hi treehousers! This is officially the second forum I've ever joined. If you're on treebuzz you may have seen my recent post over there about this subject but I thought I'd throw it out here as well. I'm a Rope Access L3 with 8 years doing industrial work and I was a climbing guide in the desert SW before that so I'm not new to rope systems and rigging. That said, I understand there are nuances to tree work that are best learned by doing the work and learning from people with experience. I've been burning through the youtube material (Reg Coates, August, Educated climber, etc) and I'm reading (TCC, Body Language of Trees, ISA online, etc). I'm looking to get some actual work experience but I can't reasonably quit my current job (steady income, health insurance) to jump into a new gig. I do have the option to make a slower transition. I currently work a hitch schedule, 3 weeks on 3 off, and I'd like to pick up some arb work a few days a week during my time home. I've sent resumes to most of the big tree service companies in my area (I live 30 minutes from Portland, OR) but haven't had much of a response. Most companies are looking for a full time commitment, understandably. Is anyone doing side jobs they could use a hand with? Or maybe there are some smaller, growing outfits that could use intermittent help that I haven't heard of? I have my own PPE, climbing gear, some saws, truck and small dump trailer. I also have a lot of rescue training and could provide some peace of mind for a solo climber. Hit me up if you need a hand or know of anyone who does. Within an hour of Portland would be preferable but I'd be open to traveling further for the right opportunity. Comments, questions, suggestions welcome!

Welcome to The House!

Sounds like a good proposition for the right person/company. Hope you get some bites :^)

You make a good presentation of possibilities. I bet something will work out, just give it a bit of time. Welcome to the house. Feel free to show us some of the rope access stuff you do, we'd love to see other aspects of rope use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the warm welcome! Here’s a little something from the rope access world. Couple tensioned lines with climbers for access to inspect these vessels in AK. About 1000’ of rope out. Damn double rope systems.

Attachments

• DCC6EF8E-3261-4BD3-A51D-F1891E11B57F.jpeg
    DCC6EF8E-3261-4BD3-A51D-F1891E11B57F.jpeg
    617.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
What do you do with 1k' of rope? Leave it on the spool, and run it off of there?

What do you do with 1k' of rope? Leave it on the spool, and run it off of there?
We have 100’, 150’, 200’ coils. Maybe a 300 footer in a bag. This is probably double 200s on each tension line with a doubled 100 for access to the ground that slide along with the technician.

Was that a colonoscopy on a block of granite??? Great picture of inspecting the vessels...god forbid if you have to actually try to fix something out there.

I’d say the most interesting rope access work I’ve done is in refineries. Lots of hot pipes and sharp edges to avoid. And of course the threat of some gross gas or chemical forcing an evacuation 😜 8 years of this kind of environment is a little soul crushing though.

Attachments

• 3644073C-CE14-43DB-899E-ABA1AC15CB61.jpeg
    3644073C-CE14-43DB-899E-ABA1AC15CB61.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • A87EB6E4-927A-4BA0-881B-C3E5D30120EA.jpeg
    A87EB6E4-927A-4BA0-881B-C3E5D30120EA.jpeg
    792.5 KB · Views: 29
Probably like treework, with every job being a bit different, eh? Keeps things interesting, so you aren't doing exactly the same thing day after day.

Thought provoking pictures...thanks. Part of the challenge has to be what can you anchor to...and what can you NOT? And knowing what to look for in so many different environments. Quick bailout could be dicey...straight down maybe not an option sometimes.

I had to do a storm damaged limb removal in the rain once, over a pen with 2 pit bulls in it...straight down...not an option.

How far is that from Sean?
That's about 3 hours, probably.
Portland is about 1.

I am SouthSoundTree (as in South end of the Puget Sound) on TB, and older posts here.

I'm pretty isolated during Covid-times.

As with other rope-access work, climbing is commuting, work-positioning is getting comfy at the work bench/ desk/ whatnot, then there is the work.

Cutting techniques are crucial, and knowing when, where, and why to apply them, are as crucial.

That's about 3 hours, probably.
Portland is about 1.

I am SouthSoundTree (as in South end of the Puget Sound) on TB, and older posts here.

I'm pretty isolated during Covid-times.

As with other rope-access work, climbing is commuting, work-positioning is getting comfy at the work bench/ desk/ whatnot, then there is the work.

Cutting techniques are crucial, and knowing when, where, and why to apply them, are as crucial.
I'm just a half hour from PDX. Olympia is a little less than 2 hours from my place. Yes, the cutting is crucial. I have a good bit of carpentry experience so that helps, I think. Been trying to get more time on the chainsaws when I'm home and watching lots of videos about different felling techniques and cuts for branch and stem and crane rigging. Taking out a couple small maples for a friend next week.

Read about pruning, 3 point pruning cuts, branch collar cuts, reduction cuts heading cuts, thinning cuts.

Root zones. Local diseases. Portland is much drier and hotter than Olympia. Different issues, and many the same.

SRT and DDRT work better together than either alone. I run heavily SRT.

Never trust your safety to co-workers or bosses.

It's a double set of skills , having the Rope and Heights thing down is a huge advantage to start. Add Spikes and the whole book on felling , rigging , and saw handling and you have it. Did I miss anything. ?

I l
No one mentioned it yet, but you need to read Gerry Beranek's book "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work". Available as a pdf online i think. Full of great info for beginners or seasoned workers, read it!
I was thinking about getting the dvd set but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. It’s insane how much people are trying to sell the used copies of the book for. I’ll check out his website. Watched an interview the other day that August did with him. 👍👍

Back