Rope access guy seeking experience in the trees

It’s insane how much people are trying to sell the used copies of the book for.
I got the electronic copy here...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got the electronic copy here...

Cool, thanks!

Well, I took my first tops a few days ago. Second time on spurs but got the hang of it alright. Dead western red cedar at a friend’s place. Took the three tops separately with tag line because they were a bit limb locked. Dropped the stick after. Everything went as planned 👍

Attachments

• 883FE833-4C5B-42C3-8410-5FD166B3FEEE.jpeg
    883FE833-4C5B-42C3-8410-5FD166B3FEEE.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 18
  • 2AAD3FF7-AE7C-46B4-8D06-F948DD188A5C.jpeg
    2AAD3FF7-AE7C-46B4-8D06-F948DD188A5C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • CABD321A-8A53-4624-AD2F-3898F2B24EB5.jpeg
    CABD321A-8A53-4624-AD2F-3898F2B24EB5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Smart to pull them apart, especially since dead and not green.

I've called WRC "velcro tree".
If you want to hang a tree being felled in another tree, WRC like to grab and hold on.

👍

Good work.

FWIW, be sure to avoid branch cores in your hinge. Plenty in conifer tops.

Sometimes, old trees that were crown-raised late in the game will have a big core grown over by a handful of years of sapwood, hiding a branch core, interrupting a felling hinge.

Smart to pull them apart, especially since dead and not green.

I've called WRC "velcro tree".
If you want to hang a tree being felled in another tree, WRC like to grab and hold on.

👍

Good work.

FWIW, be sure to avoid branch cores in your hinge. Plenty in conifer tops.

Sometimes, old trees that were crown-raised late in the game will have a big core grown over by a handful of years of sapwood, hiding a branch core, interrupting a felling hinge.
Good heads up. I was definitely checking my face cut before committing to the back cut. I was surprised how well the hinge was holding with my buddy pulling pretty hard after I thought it was cut up enough.

Be very very careful with your cuts aloft, not a good time to leave a Dutchman or cut thru your hinge. Addictive isn't it?

Be very very careful with your cuts aloft, not a good time to leave a Dutchman or cut thru your hinge. Addictive isn't it?
I was going slow with the cuts for sure. Double and triple checking and easy on the throttle. Doing these little jobs for friends for free or trade so I don’t feel rushed.

Did you get an after-topping hinge pic?

A flat line-angle (?does everyone, anyone refer to it as line-angle?) greatly increases your effective/ horizontal component vector force. Long ropes are required in big trees. Two rope joined for hand-pulling force is legit. Zeppelin Bend, for me.

Wedges are your friend, and gutting the hinge helps!
Brits call it a Letterbox, like a mail slot.

Remember your sapwood cuts.

Beware Circle of Death!!!!
Not a factor here, much at all.

You look comfortable leaning back on that spar. Good work for sure. I can tell you're going to have a lot of fun doing this. Sometimes it's almost wrong that people pay you to do it. But take the money anyway.

Did you get an after-topping hinge pic?

A flat line-angle (?does everyone, anyone refer to it as line-angle?) greatly increases your effective/ horizontal component vector force. Long ropes are required in big trees. Two rope joined for hand-pulling force is legit. Zeppelin Bend, for me.

Wedges are your friend, and gutting the hinge helps!
Brits call it a Letterbox, like a mail slot.

Remember your sapwood cuts.

Beware Circle of Death!!!!
Not a factor here, much at all.
Didn’t get any pics of the hinges but they were all intact and about a half inch wide. Not sure what you mean by the flat line angle but I did do narrow face cuts to get them to break and depart early. Seemed to work well. Reg Coates does most of his tops that way it seems. Don’t want them hanging on too long. I used wedges when I dropped the spar but not on the tops since I had a pull.

Half inch sounds reasonable.

The more horizontal the pull line's angle is, the more you are trying to tip the top over.
The more steep the line-angle is, the more your pulling force is trying harder to compress the wood downward, rather than pull the top over.

What climbing system are you using?

Half inch sounds reasonable. The more horizontal the pull line's angle is, the more you are trying to tip the top over. The more steep the line-angle is, the more your pulling force is trying harder to compress the wood downward, rather than pull the top over. What climbing system are you using? [/QUOTE]

Gotcha, yeah, we had room to have the pull line pretty flat.

For this I was using a steel core petzl flip line and petzl climb line choked with a quickie and grigri for second connection and egress to the ground. I have a unicender I’ve been using as well. Nice for going between srt/drt.

Hey Roundhouse,
Had any time for trees lately? Just wondering what you are up to?
Hey, I haven’t been on here for awhile cause I’ve been doing so much tree work! Ended up starting my own thing after I didn’t get any traction with part time work for local outfits. It’s been going really well. I just take it slow when I’m doing something I’m not super familiar with. The cutting has come pretty naturally from the time I’ve spent doing carpentry. Still lots to learn!

Attachments

• IMG_1420.MOV
    14.8 MB
I did manage to download it and watch it. Just strange it doesn't play automatically.

Brian, I only use Mac and iPhone. Use Safari on both.

Oh, well. At least I now know to download it and it will work.

Back