Guess the quantity of ropes, win a prize

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I saw this picture in the new Bartlett catalog. I can’t decide if this man’s pure genius or just a madman. I’ve seen some crazy rigging schemes for situations like this but……..

Attachments

• 34829EF6-0D36-4A17-AB38-1E03B8B6A9A8.jpeg
    34829EF6-0D36-4A17-AB38-1E03B8B6A9A8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
It would be interesting to see the full setup. I guess that's what you do when you don't have a crane.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m wondering if he’s tied into many small tops and needs the load spread? I’ve seen a local video by Brads Tree Removal where he took a fairly large tree off a 2 story roof using no more than 5 ropes from what I remember.

We did a cottonwood storm damage that we had something like 1500’ of rope involved. One porty alone had 50’ of sling. There are pics of the trunk somewhere on here.

Had a good size piece of Sugar Maple top break out over customers shed ... same approach just not as complex. Branch tips lodged in a Hemlock on other side of the shed , 20" at the butt of the break which was almost but not finished breaking ... same approach but didn't need the GRCS. After climbing and setting a couple of lower lines slings and blocks and two port o wraps w slings , plus two pull / control lines and a small hand winch and another
sling ... thought to myself , glad I have all this gear ! ... Got it set with entire mess secured first session and started cutting out broken Hemlock limbs until I ran out of light , overnight the Maple break finished peeling off the little holding wood remaining , walked in next day to see just about the whole thing had dropped into the rigging , harmlessly swinging in the breeze safely suspended over the shed ...

Last edited:
In the pic, it must have been fun watching the huge butt of the top heading toward the roof

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looking at it I sincerely doubt that it dropped that far into that much rigging unless there was a ridiculous amount of slack , seems they used the GRCS to lower it some after the cut ... just a guess
I’d say you are correct and it was probably lowered. But, if it wasn’t………

Back