The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Official Guns Thread

Burnham

Woods walker
It's uglier than sin, Stephen. Old pitted rust bucket of a firearm; I've cleaned and oiled it, kept it so, so that it isn't getting worse...but it'll never get pretty either :).

I got it from my father, who got it from his father. My grandfather was a renowned ornithologist, in the 1930's through the 1970's. Traveled the world after birds.

This .32 pistol was in his inside jacket pocket in England, France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia. Then Cuba, Mexico, all of the Central American nations.

It is more an heirloom than a true home defense firearm...but I know it works, and I keep it in my bedside table drawer.

It would take me half a minute or so to get the shotgun out from the closet and load it...the older than dirt .32 is 5 seconds away from my hand.

Last edited:

treebogan

Treehouser
I have a question, from one with a very low level of experience with pistols.

I have only a very elderly .32 S&W 5 shot double action wheel pistol. It presents a very smooth body and a small handle. Easy to carry and easy to draw.

I see the large stabilizing spur on the handle of the Kimbers and now this Para Ordinance. I suppose I can see the potential advantage for a strong grip...but does that not get in the way of drawing/handling?
I think the "Spur " your talking about is called a "Beaver Tail" of all things.

It has a few functions,it helps prevent the slide hurting your hand as it recoils,should you have choked up on the gun (taken a higher incorrect grip),it prevents the pistol slipping in grip after multiple shots and then the slide biting your hand,it is also a kind of lever that helps prevent muzzle flip as the frame of the gun now has a contact point with your hand directly under the bore axis.

Burnham

Woods walker
I think the "Spur " your talking about is called a "Beaver Tail" of all things.

It has a few functions,it helps prevent the slide hurting your hand as it recoils,should you have choked up on the gun (taken a higher incorrect grip),it prevents the pistol slipping in grip after multiple shots and then the slide biting your hand,it is also a kind of lever that helps prevent muzzle flip as the frame of the gun now has a contact point with your hand directly under the bore axis.
Yessir, I can easily visualize all the benefits you point out. Thanks.

treesmith

Banned
I bought a Marlin .30-30 for my grandfather in 1987. He had a Remington 760 in .308, but felt it was getting heavy for him, as he walked a lot, and so he told me if I’d buy him a .30-30, he’d swap me. I did. Later, after finding the .308 didn’t suit me that well, I traded it off. When he died, several of his guns were sold off. I couldn’t afford them at the time. One of my wife’s brothers-in-law bought the .30-30, and later traded it to one of her brothers. This afternoon he brought it to me and I traded him a .30-30 I had for it. So I now have my grandfather’s.30-30. I’m quite happy with it.

E545ACB2-8D5E-414D-866D-57AA9AC0663B.jpeg

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!