O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Homemade adjustable false crotch. I used it for blocking down a stem the other day and was very happy with it. I think I need to find a better item for retrieval than the screwlink though. It's a little bit too long.

Leon, that looks real good...I have a snap link as one ring of mine...I like your 2 rings much better.

You did the splicing?

Yup, I spliced it up. I made the eye a little tighter than I should have so finishing the bury involved hanging the whole splice from the ceiling of my carport and jumping up and down on a footloop attached to the ring. One of my neighbors came over to inquire what in the hell I was doing.

Ha! Working on my perpetual motion machine, of course!

Perpetual frustration machine was more like it, actually...

I bet is was almost perpetual to get that last little bit to bury. Try an old ring from a trashed throw bag for a retrieval ring.

I got the same recommendation on the throw bag ring from a guy on the Buzz. All I need to do now is trash one. The problem is I usually lose them in the woods before I trash them. So, I called up a friend that is in charge of a 30 man workforce. He said he should be able to procure a newly trashed throwbag before the week is out.

Mod the muffler, re-tune the carb (remove limiting caps) and your good to go!

Don't wait for breakin to occur, open it up now!

:)

Homemade adjustable false crotch. I used it for blocking down a stem the other day and was very happy with it. I think I need to find a better item for retrieval than the screwlink though. It's a little bit too long.

That looks real nice, Leon. You know, a simple overhand knot in the tail of your climbing rope will retrieve that rig pretty consistently, no need for the extra bit prusiked on...and to get lost :whine: .

I have found that when rappelling on a rig like this from placement simply cinched to a clean bole, the retriever sometimes is bound by the big ring laying hard flat against the bark. Flipping the line usually works it loose eventually, but it can be a bother. If I clip a OP Jake into the big ring and run my line through that it never gets bound up as the 90* turn imposed on the biner makes it stand proud from the tree and the retriever slips right through, easy peasy.

Even if you are not a spliceing wizard, you can make up a pretty satisfactory adjustable false crotch. Here's one I put together that has been earning it's keep.

Nice honda, now get that silly Stihl off it before you rip the seat. :D

Ken,

I appreciated the info you gave me for the Husky's. For some reason I couldn't let my stihls share the same spot with the Husky. Plus, I was thinking, I didn't want to run to different parts of towns to get parts for either or, so I just went stihl. Plus, I like the colors. :)

As for the Honda, that silly thing needs a bottem end...bummer :X

Got some new things recently,

Some caribiners, eye and eyes, pole saw stuff, new blaze line, and a new saddle.

Anyone noticed the "capacity" of the saddle is 220lbs? or 100kgs?
Seems there are some heavier climbers out there, what does this refer to?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now THATS a nice pile of stuff! YAHOO Deva!
I got me a set of suspenders for my Weaver saddle today, due to my lack of posterior. :)

Thanks Paul,

It's been about 3 years since I replaced my climbline, so I figured, might as well replace.

Wesspur rips, nice prices. and three day delivery and no shipping with an over $100 purchase.

The BFly II was designed for the European market and they tend to not have so many fat asses. I saw that when I got mine but I'm 190 so no worries.

I saw that when I bought mine sometime in 05 I beleive. I am 25% heavier than that on a lite day without gear, boots or anything other than my flesh and boxers.

I am not terribly worried about it.

I have found that when rappelling on a rig like this from placement simply cinched to a clean bole, the retriever sometimes is bound by the big ring laying hard flat against the bark. Flipping the line usually works it loose eventually, but it can be a bother. If I clip a OP Jake into the big ring and run my line through that it never gets bound up as the 90* turn imposed on the biner makes it stand proud from the tree and the retriever slips right through, easy peasy.

That's a great tip Burnham. Thanks. I have also been told that the metal ring from a throwball makes for a foolproof retriever (is there such a thing?), but like you said it's just one more small bit of gear to get lost. Simple is good.

The wait is over, ordering a grapple and rake tomorrow! Not pictured is an auger and dirt bucket.

db10_3.jpg

e584_3.jpg

e387_3.jpg

e1c2_3.jpg

dd95_3.jpg

dfac_3.jpg

Back