O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Adrian, I've had one of those for years, the version with the cable. A well made device, I like it and it has been very useful, but now mostly use an endless line cable Tirfor for hard pulls. Good luck with it!

Tirfors are awesome. Which size do you have Jay? The bigger ones seem to be prohibitively heavy.

I had a tirfor type winch for a while. All I'll say about stump removal is don't be too ambitious!
Small hedge stumps perhaps, anything big and you will discover swear words you didn't know you knew.

1.8 ton and i ton on the Tirfors, Leon. Of course with a block up in the tree you can double that. The Maasdam covers a lot of what the smaller Tirfor will accomplish, but the larger one really is an aid for jobs that otherwise would have that certain level of apprehension. The usefulness kind of moderates the weight factor with the larger one, but it is a lug to haul around. I like using them, a steady sure pull, and the endless line by hand pulling up to almost snug when you will need to use the handle, sure simplifies set up. Pricey, but if you are pulling a lot of trees and don't have the aid of wheeled or tracked equipment, I think definitely something good to have in your kit.

Wanted one of these power pullers for a long time, finally got a job we needed it on so dad let me pull the trigger on it. Can't wait to use it!

9ytyhuha.jpg

These are sweet I used mine when I had my Jeep.

Adrian, you might want to get a cable puller for mid line attachment to both rope or cable, as seen in the foreground next to the block here. I picked that idea up out of Jerry's book. The unserrated jaw type doesn't damage what you have it attached to. They are reliable when it comes to pulling, but you have to be careful if slack get introduced, and they can suddenly fall off and blow your mind. Guys here recommended using gum tape to keep it locked, which i think is a good solution. Replacing the cheap plastic handle on the end on the power puller with a wooden part makes for more comfort and ups it in the cool department. You probably don't have a lathe, so drill a hole in sturdy wood to fit the handle, epoxy it on then round it with a rasp or a plane or whatever. I think that you will be glad you bothered. Those power pullers are very good.

Attachments

• Enju tree gear copy.jpg
    Enju tree gear copy.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 105
Thanks Jay! I wondered about how I'd attach it midline. Will have to pick up some of those jaws, knew they had them for cable but didn't know I could use it on a rope as well. And I'll have to look into the handle! I have a buddy who could make me a cool one, might have to have him hook me up!

The pullers are generally available at places that sell gear for electrical workers, like up in towers. There is a big outfit in the states from where I ordered mine, but sorry i forgot the name. They come in various sizes to handle rope or cable within a specific expanse of diameters. I generally pull with 9mm cable or close sized 3 strand rope when using the power puller. Again, unserrated works fine for grip, the more you pull, the harder it grabs.

I had a tirfor type winch for a while. All I'll say about stump removal is don't be too ambitious!
Small hedge stumps perhaps, anything big and you will discover swear words you didn't know you knew.

Ya, Sawsall reciprocating saw, cutter mattock, and some pulling. I was supposed to do a job for a bunch of volunteer maples and holleys, and two shrubs, nothing too big, mostly 2" to 4" caliper.

I have a 25 horse Rayco grinder, but the starter went out, and I haven't bothered to fix it. I hate grinding, and we are in 14,000 year old glacial outwash soil, as in 14,000 years ago, this was all planed off bedrock. Occasionally, where they've brought in topsoil, it is clean grinding, otherwise its always paying attention for rocks and dealing with shielding.

Nice going, Nick. V grooves is it now, the jaws of my Chicago are slightly rounded. Klein is the name I was trying to remember without looking on the tool.

Havens are excellent for lifting loads into trucks, etc., but I don't think the swing latch is really necessary for that purpose. Without them I have rarely seen one fall off. For pulling, probably a good idea.

Added this to the fleet this afternoon. Heather's primary and a bid-mobile/traveller I'm thinking. I would like the bid mobile/traveller to be a Accord Hybrid, but I'm not ready for that yet.

IMG_4519.jpg

My local saw shop sells arb gear. I try to support them but they do business in a weird way. They carried hardheads, I bought all the last of the ones they had exclaimed about how well they worked and I liked them so much to which their reply was, 'well they're to expensive so we're not gonna order anymore'. They'll only carry hanks of rope in 150' lengths. I asked them multiple times to bring in 200'. No go.

I'm no big wheel but I'm one of only a handful of local pro users.

I'm pretty stoked to try srt this year!

Back