O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

The US has cheap energy. My shop costs me $150 for the electric per month before turning anything on. The get you here by the size transformer you need on the pole for your main breaker. Usage goes on top of that. Few know of any different approach, so nobody complains. The public watchdogs over energy cost rates are a good thing too, you are lucky to have that if you do.

Pretty wasteful to use wood that big.
Split it out a bit and you get more heat from it.
My heating bill for the last 18 years, since I put in a furnace, has been 0$.
That is for heating the house plus water and hottub.
Average price per year using oil would have been 5 grand.
Multiply that by 18 and splitting and sawing wood doesn't feel like much of a chore:lol:

I don't follow that splitting gives more heat? I'm trying to learn something, not saying you're wrong...

The wood has the same energy content either way, the only difference is surface area. Surface area would increase heat output at the expense of consuming wood faster making neither more efficient from a burning standpoint.

I don't follow that splitting gives more heat? I'm trying to learn something, not saying you're wrong...

The wood has the same energy content either way, the only difference is surface area. Surface area would increase heat output at the expense of consuming wood faster making neither more efficient from a burning standpoint.

Simply because a big log burning like that only burns on the surface, thus produces a less intense heat resulting in lots of burnable gasses escaping.
That guy will have to clean his chimney/stovepipe very often, since those gasses condense once they cool off a bit.
Splitting the wood gives a bigger surface area to burn= more intense heat= cleaner burn, and those gasses get turned into heat instead into smoke.
Small diameter wood, up to 6" I don't split, it has enough surface area to burn well.

My furnace has a blower that keeps it burning hot enough that I can actually stick a piece of rebar in there and make it red hot.
In order to utilize the heat I have a 400 gallon insulated water tank as buffer, then I draw from that all day.

The buffer tank makes the biggest difference. Without that the furnace can only generate as much heat as the central heating system can absorb, or it'll start boiling.

With my buffer tank, I can run my furnace at full throttle for a few hours, and heat the house 24 hours. When my furnace is warmed through and burning there is no visible smoke coming out the chimney, only heat waves. No smell of smoke either.

Did that suffice as an answer, Carl?

Last edited:
Dave hit it , I think. Rounds cannot dry so lots of energy is wasted boiling off the water. I cannot understand how my machinist buddy who is so freakin smart always waits till fall to start splitting his wood:? This year I took a load of dry wood over to him (2 years seasoned) and he was amazed at how hot his stove got:lol: Now Im trying to get him to put up a wood shed and get a few years ahead.

Stig, one thing you may not realize about the furnaces over hear is they really suck IMO. The fire box is surrounded by water so you can never get a hot fire going anyway, Im sure yours has an insulated firebox and then extracts the heat from the exhaust gasses which is the way to go if you want to burn all the fuel not just pump it out the flue as smoke. People are funny though, they know how things are done and just keep on doing it the same way, never looking to improve...

Yes, that's a good answer, Stig. Thanks!

For me, I would rather save the energy from splitting rather than burn at peak efficiency.

You may not need so hot a fire, and burning slower requires less maintenance in putting in wood. I see advantages to logs and lesser seasoned wood. I like to mix real dry with not quite so.

The new Central Boilers are gasifiers. I think they have a secondary burn chamber. I know they are more finicky about the moisture content. Burning wood continuously is not a great way to go. Having a huge mass, like a Tulikivi masonry heater, and having a hot fire that burns until it burns out uses the heat much better.

Our wood stove is set up that way to be CARB compliant. It literally does a second burn of the gasses... Hot as all get out, efficient and my chimney (cleaned regular) hardly builds of creosote at all. Granted, I only burn well seasoned wood. But I love putting none split stuff in it all the time. Love the all night logs :D

Stig, got any pics of your set up with the 400 gal tank?

"Burning wood continuously is not a great way to go. Having a huge mass, like a Tulikivi masonry heater, and having a hot fire that burns until it burns out uses the heat much better"
This is an interesting concept from Dave. It's news to me but makes sense.

That is the concept behind the Finnish mass stoves. Huge things buildt of fire resistant bricks. The "smoke" is led through a maze that sucks all the heat from it and you only fire it up once a day, then it releases heat slowly and keeps your house cosy.
Cost a minor fortune to build, but extremely efficient. They are really catching on here.

Cory, the tank is boxed up and insulated, so it is hard to see.

Paul, mine extracts heat from the exhaust gasses, yes. It also continously measures the temperature of the exhaust gasses and changes the amount of air added, in order to burn at peak efficiency. I only burn wood that has seasoned for 2 years, but it has the ability to change the air supply according to moisture content in the fuel as well. Once the fire burns out, and the gas temp goes beond a certain point, it shuts itself off.
Really efficient furnace, this one. I've had a lot of different ones over the years, and this one is by far the best.

The excavator came with speakers and an antenna, but no radio in the radio hole (~$400 option for a crappy radio).

Fixed that today! The main things I was looking for was an FM tuner, would connect to my phone via Blue Tooth, and had a RF remote control. This one also has a CD player, but I doubt that gets used. It can also charge my phone via the USB port, or I can put my music on a jump drive there. They mounted the remote in an ignorant spot; I'll move it down near my right hand so I can control it without shifting position in the seat.

Still need to remove the warning stickers and get it signed for me and my YouTube channel.

IMG_9697.jpg

Haha MB, it has 2 3-4" speakers pointed at the back of your head. Still, it's better than ear buds.

Next thing I would like to get for it is a 36 or 42" bucket (third of a yard) and a single point ripper.

Wanted one of these power pullers for a long time, finally got a job we needed it on so dad let me pull the trigger on it. Can't wait to use it!

9ytyhuha.jpg

Back