O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I gave up on the finishing caps a long time ago. Clients can't even see the cable from the ground half of time, let along the rig guy's. Did you get 1/4" and 3/8"?

I keep 3/16", 1/4" and 3/8" on hand...as well and dynamic cable.

The finishing caps are for next time I have to climb the tree...those end of the wire are sharp!

How much do you guys charge to install a cable? We generally go pretty cheap on it, as low as $75/cable. I wouldnt even bother to do it at that rate as a side job. After I bought all the stuff and spent all the time, charging $225 for three cables isnt even worth it.

We do a lot of cable installs for being a small company. The price really all depends Nick. It depends if that is the only project we have on site, or if it is the smallest part of a project. Travel time, how long of a cable, and type of species all come in to play too. Anywhere between $185-$250 per cable is a good average. It really is cheap insurance.

You should do it, boss. Easy money if you can make the sale

We typically do $300/cable. $500 on a 3-legged install. More if there are extenuating circumstances. (Gotta climb more trees to do the cable, if the span is super long, or things like that)

love
nick

Nobody, literally nobody ever asks to have it done. I remember, back in the late 80's, we did cable jobs maybe once a month or so. Now, I can't really remember my last cabling. Nowadays, the offending limb(s) will just be removed or the entire tree done away with.

I do a fair amount of cable installs here. Comes in spurts though, maybe 4-5 one month and then a lull.
I'm on the same pricing with Nick. Plus I've been making people sign maintenance agreements for inspection once per year. No agreement no cable install!!!

Right?

$75/man-hour is our production goal as well. From a foremans perspective that means that when you get the jobs in the morning you are supposed to hit $75 of billing for every man-hour between 7am and the time you return (travel, dump, maintenance, etc...). 7am-4pm is $1200/minimum for a 2 man crew. We are usually given around $1600 in jobs per day for Duane and I.

Nobody, literally nobody ever asks to have it done. I remember, back in the late 80's, we did cable jobs maybe once a month or so. Now, I can't really remember my last cabling. Nowadays, the offending limb(s) will just be removed or the entire tree done away with.

Its not about the customer asking for it, because they generally are ignorant of the risk or problem. Its about selling it. It is similar here too, Boss, not too many people prefer costly maintenance over removal...which is sad..

Yeah.. being a hired gun MB, not a whole lot of say in the matter... But that simplifies things as well. You could always offer to advise the firm that contracts you .....

7 years in business now and I have done 4 jobs all in the same year... Probably due to my learning curve. They have averaged about 250-300 per.... About what you guys are doing..

I had to remove and recable a huge live oak earlier this year.
The previous installer had just wrapped a cable around the main trunk at 5ft and 20ft above the crotch.
Took quite a bit of tension to relieve the top cable.

After I had finished the install the customer stopped by and wanted to know when we were putting the new cable in. Took him 10 min to find it in the tree.

I only have cabled a few times. Been nearly killed by cables though. Once was in a tree in the dark with lights pointing into the tree in a storm and another time was laying out a norway spruce. There were 4 100' spruces in a clump. One was slated to go. Had a gentle lean into an open yard. Coming through the back cut it wouldn't go over......????? So I cut a little more, and a little more. The thing did a 180* spin on the stump, almost knocking my to the ground as the butt dropped off the stump. Would have pinned and maimed me or killed me.

It was cabled to another tree in the group and was impossible to see. It stood there butt on the ground just held in place by that cable.

It depends how you look at it nick. Id say im a lucky dude. If I wasn't, my adventures would have killed me LONG ago.

But yes, its been an eventful 28 years on this planet. I can't get out of bed without a ruckus breaking out..

Back