O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Just found another set of alloy with tires, not sure if I like the pattern though.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/3254299686.html
5T25F85H43E13L53Fac966d3014a8c6fe18f5.jpg

I ended up buying the chrome Ranger wheels and tires. Only $125 for 4 wheels and Michelin tires with enough tread to last me at least a year. I also went to Surplus Steel today and picked up two new fenders, a tongue jack, new hitch and enough wire to rewire from the plug to the tail lights. Total expenditure today was $350 for everything so I'm at $1050 total so far.

I'll try to get home before dark tomorrow and get some 'before' pictures before the transformation begins.

I got the 'before' pictures as promised. I screwed up on the wheels, they don't fit the trailer hubs. I assumed the trailer had 4.5" lug spacing but it's a 5" spacing. I'll see if I can get my money back out of the wheels and tires and maybe just paint the existing rims or get some hub caps.

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

List of stuff done today on the trailer-
Fenders (including relocating the support brackets)
hitch
tongue jack
tie down loops (3 installed, lacking 1)
wheel chock basket in the front of the trailer
bearing buddies installed (after I took these pictures)
Lots of grinding and welding today. Now it's solid enough to pull my car. Still have a lot to do but it's mostly cosmetic.

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

Those fenders will hold up better to chunks hitting them than the standard fenders. That extra "flange" between the tires adds quite a bit of rigidity. The fenders on my older trailer look awful. They've been bent down onto the tires and back up too many times to count. My newer trailer has a brace running down to the frame between the tires that helps a lot as well.

About 5 minutes after we got the left side fender on, I told Kyle that it needed to be fairly solid since I would probably need to step on it getting in and out of the car. He said if I had told him that earlier then he would have welded a skeleton inside the fender to drastically increase rigidity. Very easy to do with the fender off the trailer but not so easy trying to weld upside down.

Looks good, now you need to mount a winch.

Not just in case you break down, but if someone else does you can charge them for getting them home. :big-money:

2402092490030346325S425x425Q85.jpg

About 5 minutes after we got the left side fender on, I told Kyle that it needed to be fairly solid since I would probably need to step on it getting in and out of the car. He said if I had told him that earlier then he would have welded a skeleton inside the fender to drastically increase rigidity. Very easy to do with the fender off the trailer but not so easy trying to weld upside down.

Mig welding isn't so bad upside down. With the wheels off it wouldn't seem too hard to brace it up.

NubCo (local 'man stuff' store) had a sale...

1x 1ton x 1m round sling - $4.70
1x 2ton x 1m round sling - $7.70
1x 2ton x2m round sling - $13.70

Rated, proof tested.
Never seen them so cheap anywhere, including the US catalogues...

Bidding, spraying, stumping traveling rig

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352844644212.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352844644212.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 24
My seven-year-old happened to be standing behind me while I was looking at this. When she saw Willie's yellow truck in the pic, she slugged me.....YELLOW TRUCK!!!!!

Back