O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I have no place to secure it in the truck. I'm going to have to get a bracket welded up so I can hang it in the bed and lock it in place.

The HT 101 is going to come in handy, nice pick up. The oiler on mine is always clogged and seems as though a lot of people have problems with it, but you may already know this. Over all I am still really glad I have one.

I just stopped at the stihl dealer too and picked up the BT 45 gas drill. I don't know if I can find the power ship auger bits around town or not I may have to order them.

Idunno, it's what was on the display rack? The 131 is heavier, isn't it?

I'll probably end up putting one of those lightweight bars on it. They come in 12, 14 and 16" now so I'll slap a 12" on there and convert it to .050 gauge chain. That way I can just cut chains off my roll instead of having to buy the .043 gauge loops.

I put a .050 ga chain on mine at work, like it alot better than the small stuff. Put a 14" on it, what we had.

I've been thinking about getting one of those...I do work at a condo complex and it's always hand polesaw work trimming tree's over decks, roofs, etc. Last time I was there was about 6.5 hrs with a hand polesaw, that sucked. I have to go back within 2 weeks for more.

I am gonna hijack for a second,

HT101, or 131?

Do you have to change the sprocket in order to change guage...I dont think so right?

I just stopped at the stihl dealer too and picked up the BT 45 gas drill. I don't know if I can find the power ship auger bits around town or not I may have to order them.

FYI, I love my little BT45, drills holes for verti. mulching like nobodies business. Burn loves his from what I remember too.

Just wished I used it more.

131 is stronger, 101 is lighter. No, you don't have to change the sprocket to change gauge (width of drive tooth). Only if you were changing pitch (distance between drive teeth).

I can't remember what model my Stihl polesaw/trimmer is but I will recommend going over all of the bolts to check for tightness as they pull apart quite easily imo.

Correct. Same pruner with a bigger motor. Nope, mine hasn't touched wood yet. I have no idea when I may use it, either. The last one I owned, I used it twice in a year then sold it to a buddy of mine. That was 4 years ago. He just got it stolen off a jobsite Saturday so I sorta grabbed this one in case we needed it for storm work this week.

Justin, yes. Stihl seems to be careful not to overtighten many of the screws clamping the pieces to the main pole. I went over mine today with the torx wrench.

Hmm, tempting. Considering I've used a sharp pole saw blade up until this point, and the fact it won't be a every day use kinda item, but then again whats $50 extra for the bigger motor? Def. something to consider, my arms are saying YES YES, the account doesn't want to loose any weight though.

They aren't a very good pruning tool. If you're a purist trying to make perfect cuts for the health of the tree then you won't like it. But for guys looking to whack low limbs without climbing, they are the bomb.

I work with lots of guys who try to use them for cutting tiny sprouts out of young trees (pole saw work) and it pisses me off to no end. They do way more damage than good but still think they are doing good work. This is one of the biggest reasons why I normally hate the damn things.

Word. My old boss had one, I hated it. I don't know if it was the fact that it was so damned heavy and wouldnt stay running :/:? He used the hell out of it though, he had a trailerable bucket-only 47', so it was one of his favorite tools it seems. Thanks for the feedback.

I have a pruner attachment for my stihl fs250 wand. Not as much reach but I love it. I am going to be buying another pruner. Longer reach and less cc. Don't need 40 cc on a pole saw... LOL.. I am leaning toward the husky but I forget the model. I am not really thrilled with stihl right now in a motor on a pole. They keep self destructing. I have had carbs go bad in less than two years. I tried the echo and it is a great pole saw, but the weight sucks! You could probably drop a limb on it though and it would survive. I like the husky, and if I drop a limb on it I am certainly not doing my job right.
Note : I use my pole saw to prep the tree for climbing and for 10' limbing up for fire clearance. I get no more damage to the tree than I do with a hand pole pruner/saw. IMHO (At the trunk). Further out on the limb I use the hand pruner/saw.

Last edited:
Here in the vineyards they come in handy because a lot of the work is cutting back overhanging branches which shadow the vines and block sunlight. Stand on the hood of a 4x4 or tractor and get alot of work done quickly.

i love mine,friend told me to buy it when i picked up a hedge job on a steep hill, not ideal for hedge work but the 11' reach and a sharp chain worked great. ive also buried it in 12" dead oak limbs, its a power house and far better than trying to non pwer through big stuff. theres been many jobs we would have climbed to raise the drip line cause the limbs were shoulder burners with a regular pole but in stead just whipped out the power pole. dont remember if mines the 101 or 131 either

Back