O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

A.I. :|:

Any 1000yd ranges in your neck of the woods? The closest to me is 3 hours.:cry:

TS

I am simply obsessed with trees. It's an affliction. No books, gear or do-dads required >>>
Everywhere I go, I am trying to ID trees from the trunk up.
Have you ever noticed that if you're only looking at the trunk, some trees resemble each other ???
I've MIS-ID'd a pine for a Black Cherry... for the bark. 'Til I look up.
That's my challenge to myself.
ID, then look up.
An Ash can be mistaken for a Black Walnut for the bark.
A Box Elder (Acer) can be mistken for an Ash, too... until you look closer for fruit.
Do you ever challenge yourselves this way ?
I think that if I were more than a hundred miles from my home soil, I'd be a miserable failure at tree ID... but I constantly challenge myself.

Not tree related, but I got my stock in today for my 308 build. The NXS, base and rings should be here in the morning which is replacing my Zeiss while I wait for my USO.

Noice! :dur:

I'm getting the Smith and Wesson Duracoated soon in Olive drab, and black, and I'm now looking at new collapsible stocks to replace the plastic Dragunov stock on my AK, as well as getting it modded so I can use standard mags instead of Saiga mags.

The next gun is going to be either a wheel gun, or a new shot gun.

I'm slowly making a collection. :D

Duracoat :)

I'm going to duracoat the action/barrel and the actual trigger flat black. Then camo the works in krylon, aside from the knobs, glass, and power ring on the scope, and the butt pad and (I think) bipod.

I'll post a picture of it with the scope mounted after I fine weigh these 100 rounds for tomorrow. I use my press to throw more than I need then measure it removing it to get down to the correct weight(s). Pistol ammo dosen't require this step.

The scope and rings came in this morning. :)

DSC04658.jpg

DSC04661.jpg

I've got 100 rounds ready to play with tomorrow.

Looks mainly James, second is for concealment.

Duracoat is tough as nails. Using it as a base coat means that even when the krylon gets scratched/chipped, the dark duracoat underneath stays intact and not shiny.

In some tactical matches may be graded for your stalk, at the least it will look the part. Some training classes I am will be taking it is a requirement.

It makes it easier to lose.8)

Thats for sure. many years back I was Moose hunting, and saw some Spruce hens in this patch of birch. the idea I had was, they had been eating Birch buds so they would be so damn turpentine tasting. I laid my 7mm against a tree, it had a OD synthetic stock with the barrel wrapped and shag on the scope. Needless to say after chasing the hens over a couple of little knobs, when i came back to what I thought was a tree that stood out with my rifle leaning against it, I spent the next several hours looking for that "unique" tree. I wound up doing a full on grid search to find my rifle.

I stopped by the Sherrill/Vermeer store today (see pics in the Official Picture Thread, odds and ends forum) and ended up buying a new bull rope. It's been about 5 years since I spliced a rope but I didn't do too badly. Double braid is about as easy as it gets.

I forgot which marks were going to be visible and so I got magic marker all over the rope but it still works just fine.

It's been about 5 years since I spliced a rope but I didn't do too badly. Double braid is about as easy as it gets.

That may be true for stable braid, but have you tried splicing any of the newer double braid climbing lines? They are really tightly woven which makes running the splice home into some serious work.

Nice looking splice and pretty new rope, by the way.

Dang, I've bean holding off buying these ropes for weeks now, tonight I gave in.

I grabbed 245' of 11mm static line, and 150' of 3/8 static (trying a tiny lanyard line) from eBay rope guy. I have no self control. :D

Dirty little secret #73-That 3/8ths static makes a good SRT ascent line but it is so marvelous for light rigging and tag lines for pulling modest trees that you may wind up turning into a rigging rope.

Back