O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Here's a couple I found with a quick search.

Amazing how esoteric the search function seems to so many folks...

PS, for those who have to Google "esoteric", well, frankly the educational system failed you. It's OK, I learned that word in a library, so can you.

Got my first boxed saw! That's kind of exciting. Also, kind of not. I pretty much got what I already had, so it's nothing new. Getting motivated to go out and get groceries. I'll stop at harborfreight and see if they have any little pliers, then bring the carcass in to pick it over for parts on the new saw, and maybe work at getting the belt out of the cylinder.

IMG_20240808_102244873.jpg

edit:
I've said before I never had a boxed saw, but that's incorrect. My poulans came boxed. I've never had a real saw in the box. I guess I subconciously edit out the poulans :^D

Last edited:
Got my first boxed saw! That's kind of exciting. Also, kind of not. I pretty much got what I already had, so it's nothing new. Getting motivated to go out and get groceries. I'll stop at harborfreight and see if they have any little pliers, then bring the carcass in to pick it over for parts on the new saw, and maybe work at getting the belt out of the cylinder.

View attachment 140451
Mine fell out of the tree Monday.
Been meaning to replace it anyway…

Bummer. Is there much that's salvageable? It's useful having a parts machine around. Thinking about it... the 2511 roller chain catcher might be a nice replacement for the Chunk-O-Plastic that came on the 355.

⅜"lp. I have a ⅜"lp-nk b&c waiting to go on it, but I want to try it out where any possible difference will really shine. I'm hoping for a performance boost while keeping my preferred pitch. ¼" is just too small, especially for my purposes. I'm a wrecker more than a pruner, and I value robustness over precision.

I am a big fan of a little felling lever up a tree for pushing chunks off whilst ringing down.
I lost my old favourite, so ordered this, specially made for a climber rather than a forestry tool used in the tree.
Nice and light with a good lift. Plus a hole for carrying on the tool belt.View attachment 139651
Used this yet Mick? Still interested in a comparison to the Husky.

Used this yet Mick? Still interested in a comparison to the Husky.
Story.
Because I didn’t receive the new one on time I replaced the husky one temporarily with an Oregon one I lucked upon in my local dealer, which I used on a particular job.
Then I used the new one on some other work when it arrived.

Now I haven’t really put them through their paces, because as often happens you get certain types of work in patches, and I haven’t had a lot of heavy blocking down.

But to answer your question, no, it’s not as good.
The bigger heavier Husky/Oregon with the wider splay on the foot is more secure the overall length gives you more leverage and you’re less likely to lose the chunk sideways.

End of review.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I ordered the M18 top handle tonight. Not really for tree work, but it'll see some tree action. An electric chainsaw has many uses in timber framing and around the sawmill. I was going to grab a bare tool in the morning at the hardware store, but checked online first. $349 +tax bare tool, or $349 +tax for bare tool+ 8ah+free shipping at Home Depot. It'll be here Wednesday.

One of the ways a chainsaw is handy in timber framing is to build a flat base that holds the bar vertically, and the base rides on the top of a live edge timber. This allows you to create a timber that is square in cross section but is curved or forked along its length. I wanted the dual battery 20" for this, but it's not coming until November.

I realized today that chopping scarf joints is not an efficient use of my time or energy. I only have a certain amount of energy available most days, I can't squander it on avoidable axe work.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts over time on the Milwaukee, especially regarding durability. I haven't been too impressed with the Milwaukee stuff I've seen, but it could be bad luck, and just not looking in the right places.

I like Milwaukee tools. Bought some of the new Forge batteries today and the telescoping polesaw got delivered today as well. The polesaw is impressive with the standard 12Ah battery, should be interesting to see how it does with the 12Ah Forge.

1724816071039.png

Last edited:
Yeah, the Milwaukee line is mostly what I have been buying... mostly to stay on the same battery platform. All mine have been flawless to date.

They haven't made my boycott list, but I'd be cautious buying Milwaukee. I've seen three impact drivers die. I'm not around battery tools much, so they may all do that, but it makes me go "Hmm...". I do like the way their tophandle looks. If I had to buy a battery saw today, I'd likely get echo just because I like their gas stuff, but skill in gas tools doesn't really transfer to electric. Place your money and hope for the best...

Yeah , can't speak about the chainsaw models ( no experience). My impact driver has been a beast fwiw. The 1/2 inch impact wrench is amazing for power too .

1724819266831-jpeg.140981
I had a grinder and impact die this year. I replaced the grinder with a substantially upgraded 5-6” model and the 7-9” model. Very happy with them. The impact got upgraded to the newest latest/greatest. It has a stupid amount of torque, which is delightful.

I buy Milwaukee without reservation, but not without research.

Attachments

• 1724819266831.jpeg
    8.4 MB · Views: 23
This is how it works. You start watching YouTube videos on the latest greatest version of all the tools. This year the DeWalt drives a lag bolt into the end grain of a rotten stump .03 seconds faster than everyone else. Next year Milwaukee takes the rotten stump crown back by. 09 seconds. Then you go out and buy the tool that fits the batteries you already have.;)

My 2511 came in the factory box, and nothing else, but it was only one part. No extra batteries or stuff.

Back