O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

A crush injury, sustained to the toes, with enough force that the crushing of a steel toe type amputation would happen; usually ends up an aputation prognosis.. For the record.
Not necessarily. One example of how this isn't necessarily accurate is if we consider how close to the foot the force was. If a one ton force hits you at the tips of your toes without steel toes, then it's gonna crush just your phalanges (your farthest out toe segments). If the same one ton force hits just your toe tips with steel toes, that force could send the plate down and cut well above the point where the force was exerted. The tip of the steel toe, the strongest part of the steel toe, would act like a fulcrum. That's one situation that I can think of where steel toes would cause a true amputation of toes versus just relatively minor bone and tissue damage at the tips of the toes. There are other situations as well. They may partially amputate the ends of the toes, but it's better than all of every toe.

Last edited:
In our workplace it seems that toe protection (crush or chainsaw) is an overwhelming plus safety wise for very little inconvenience.
I don't disagree. I just thought it would be nice to have an empassioned discussion about steel toes and look how that turned out (pretty positively, I think). Sometimes it's helpful in forum discussion to play the Devil's advocate. It wasn't about what I had to say so much as what you had to say about what I had to say (for me at least). That's all I'll say about that.

Last edited:
Been working on the new dump truck this week. I was worried it wasn't going to be able to dump as much as my old truck due to the lower positioning of the lift assembly (less leverage) and it sounded weak compared to the other truck. So I picked up a load of gravel this morning for my driveway, ended up with almost 5.4 tons (10,760 lbs) and the truck dumped it with no problem. This F450 is a beast! Brakes and suspension are way beefier than an F350.

Also got my second tool box in this morning and had it mounted in less than an hour. I had everything ready and waiting for the last 3 days. I managed to squeeze a 5' box in front of the rear tires with about 2" to spare. Now I have enough box to carry a MS660 with a 36" bar.

The new steering wheel got here an hour ago. Sucks having a new (to you) truck with an old, worn out steering wheel. The Ford replacement was only $168 delivered to my door and I watched a YouTube video on how to change it. Almost done but ran out of shade. Will finish it in 5 minute bursts in between beers this afternoon. IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0578.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

Bought a 45 gallon electric sprayer last year for the Defender. It takes too long to spray, so I built a Carl version. I assume I’ll make changes to it/add things. At some point I may build an aluminum skid for it, but for now the plywood makes changes quick and easy.

110 gallon tank up to 9.5GPM at ~580psi. Just above idle with a 3mm nozzle on the main gun, I can put out 3gpm @ 100psi with almost 30’ of horizontal reach. Wide open and maxed out is 8gpm, 600psi, and just over 40’ of throw. Changing the nozzles adjusts the flow/pressure. A 7mm nozzle is at 9.5gpm at 100psi, 21’ of throw.

The second gun has a boomless nozzle in it spraying straight down and out to 18’ with 4.3gpm at 40psi for spraying fence lines, tree lines, etc. takes around 6 minutes to cover an acre with glyphosate.

I may add a couple nozzles at the back for spraying large areas. A hose reel for soft washing. Another tank and blend manifold for soft washing. First up is probably stainless steel quick connects for the hoses/guns.

IMG_7558.jpeg IMG_7559.jpeg IMG_7578.jpeg

Looks really fine.
i could definitely find use for one.

Also nice to see an American kid, who is not fat.

Interesting they decimalized the fractional inch. I don't remember seeing that before for regular consumer goods.

Plastic cones tend to shatter in cold weather but that is here in the deep freeze of winter.
That’s a good price tho.

I was watching grcs videos on their site a few weeks ago, and I kind of want one :^D Pretty stupid for me, but it's a nice piece of kit. Enjoy!

I've only used mine twice in many years.

I'm sure it will quickly pay for itself when there is a storm with trees on houses.

View attachment 131605
Gonna be a productive day😎. Both the BMG grapple and the root rake grapple have their own machine today. Also have the full size skid loader on-site to shuttle logs from one end of this 12 acre property to the other.
View attachment 131606
Not a bad view for Ohio
A hitch plate on that full sized skiddy pulling the trailer full of logs might be faster and less trips over the turf.

I had the hitch plate and used it to push around the stump grinder. I moved logs and used the root rake grapple on the full size to scrape the area clear of debris and small stumps while Jason was taking the chipper back to get the stumpy.

Back