O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

It is actually amazing for what it is:

We were doing a big job for the State forest on the mainland.
5 loggers going over to stay and work for 2 weeks.

First day we meet a forestry guy wearing this.
Laughed ourselves sick, we did.
He might as well have been wearing pink stockings with black lace garters.

He quicly turned that around.

Turned out he was checking roads and hiking/horse/bike trails.

Anything hanging out, he could just cut with one hand and toss aside with the other.

Stihl says 4 centimeters ( 1,5") but he had me cut a 4 inch red Alder with it, so that is just a CYA thing.

So I came home and my wife, the mail order bride, Was cutting branchres down over the electric fence with pruners and hand saw. ( Job that would normally fall to me, but: The farrier's horse etc....)

I went right up to my dealer and bought it for her.

She Loves it.

It is simple, weights nothing and you'd have to be a Darwinistic moron to hgurt yourself with it.

Brilliant!!!

I bought one for my wife as well. She loves it. I use it for the same thing the forester does. I walk the trails where we ride atv’s and cut anything that sticks out

2 years ago, Dahlia used mine to carve a riverbed in a round of wood in a fairie garden.

It doesn't cut as smooth as one would think...japanese maples might still get a fine-tooth silky handsaw used on finish cuts.

Great for fruit trees. Been recommending to some older clients who prune their own orchards.

Short bars are the norm in Maine, where I started the journey. Next stop was Oregon and the long bars were eye catching.

And then there were the trees! I remember in Maine a guy pointed out a fat, large, pine probably 3' diameter and he said 'a tree like that is nothing out there' and I literally didn't believe him.:lol::|:

That day will come to all of you: when you realize old age has crept up on you, and you can't wield those big falling saws no more......................time to downsize:

View attachment 130503View attachment 130504

Not to put too fine a point on it, @stig my old friend...but that is taking the short bar ethos right up to the edge, isn't it?

Now I'm wondering if you might be suffering from severe short bar psychosis. Might I suggest you contact the crisis center at mybaristooshort.com?

:P;):D

I know many of you figured I could hold out for at least a year with my work truck, but I couldn't. My 2005 F350 gets 5.5 mpg with the underpowered 5.4. I dumped way too much money into it and got it working great for what it is, but my main contractor needs a chip truck and refuses to buy one, and I hate chipping brush. So I'm making him buy my old truck and I found a 2008 F450 v-10 with a brand spanking new dump bed.
I drove down today and test drove it, checked it out and it's a nice truck. Was able to negotiate on the price as well as get them to install a Class 3 hitch (10,000 lb).
355441104_6661521737211879_5008909922086483323_n.jpg
356833617_6262206263833852_7136731810326095531_n.jpg
355847928_9736162296453805_4825925900210119051_n.jpg

I found the auction page for the truck I just agreed to buy. The dealer got a bargain, but I doubt I could have restored it for much less. He paid just under $5k for it. https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=930&acctid=19267

I have already bought mud flaps, a fire extinguisher, a trailer brake controller, a bed tarp and am shopping for tool boxes. I have also drawn up sketches on how I want my welder to modify the bed.

Last edited:
Well since nobody else is buying stuff this week I get to hog the page!!!!!! I picked up my new truck today and towed my pickup home from West Palm Beach. About 190 miles each way. The new truck is running great with the exception of a slight pull to the right, a tire that is out of round and an excess of brake pad smell (might be from not having trailer brakes yet).

The pickup fit on the trailer with about a half inch to spare between the running boards and the fenders. That's total clearance, about 1/4" on each side!
IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG

That's a lot of saw! What are your plans for it? interesting recoil logo. I wonder if that'll go on all the saws? I'd like to see them rerelease the 60s designs. Those were the best.

Had to go to the local Stihl dealer to get this sprocket clip for one of my 661's.

View attachment 130964

It seemed like a wasted trip for a 91-cent part, so I grabbed something else while I was there.

View attachment 130965

Screw that downsizing nonsense!
That's why avoid saw shops. I always end up buying all that useless crap next to the counter by the register. That stuff adds up and can get expensive!

ive got an 881, beast of a saw, only have a 42" bar on it currently, bought it for milling
if I was only ever going to run a 42" I would get one for my 500i or 395xp and call it a day, but sometimes we do stuff big enough that im going to get atleast a 6ft bar in the future

other than cutting really big stuff, I dont like the 881, BUT the ladies love it!

ive got an 881, beast of a saw, only have a 42" bar on it currently, bought it for milling
if I was only ever going to run a 42" I would get one for my 500i or 395xp and call it a day, but sometimes we do stuff big enough that im going to get atleast a 6ft bar in the future

other than cutting really big stuff, I dont like the 881, BUT the ladies love it!
Unless you're cutting a tree over 12' across, the shorter bar will be faster. 6' bars are for West coast redwoods.

Back