O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Yep, as it bites the reaction of the teeth lift the head which makes it take a bigger bite which makes it climb more...

Sharp teeth, small bites, and a tight boom help (my wheel was all the way up, not much slack to have.

The stumps were full of metal from the old fence line.

Yep, I figured new sharp teeth and the tight new boom were factors in your favor.

Did you leave the stumps high for demo purposes or would you not bother to cut em lower regardless?

Most metal it eats without issue.

I did however once have quite a problem with a large thick piece of stainless steel in a stump. It acted like the proverbial immovable object and refused to submit

I cut probably 30’ of wire off close to the stump. Wire in the wood gets ground, wire on the ground wraps around the axle and isn’t ideal.

A fence post in wood isn’t fun to grind, but it isn’t the end of the world, usually. Thicker metal becomes a problem pretty quickly.

I left the stumps tall to keep from running the saw into metal. The stumps were cut last year, same as that tall pine stump. Until I ground the pine stump, I figured I was going to have to bite the bullet on cutting the wire/metal, but after the pine I figured I’d give it a shot.

I didn’t grind the stumps very deep, there’s a 100 pair phone line under them that I dug up once before (locate didn’t mark it).

Btw, how are Rayco teeth better on the smaller machines and no good on the RG 80?

Not enough teeth/cutting edge to cover from the tip of the outside tooth to the inside (towards the axle), so more than a little nibble and you’ve got to push the wheel pretty hard into the wood.

Green teeth have a larger edge, so less uncut area between the cutting edges, easier feeds/more aggressive. Worse case, I can add some teeth to pattern on the wheel.

Yes from leonardi. They seem to just cut way better than green teeth. Easy to try them out just order a few sets and put them on your leading pockets.
Never could understand why people change out all the teeth when the first 2 do all the cutting

Back