O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Does the stump grinder REALLY work that well? I saw one demo'ed, and maybe it was broken but it sure didn't seem to have all that much power.

Depends. Not compared to a big purpose built grinder, But its a different application.
It works better than I thought though. That stump was 2 foot across, and it took me about 35 minutes to grind out, for which I was paid a $100. if you already own a Miniskid, and you want to grind the occasional stump, its good value, and fast enough.

Depends. Not compared to a big purpose built grinder, But its a different application.
It works better than I thought though. That stump was 2 foot across, and it took me about 35 minutes to grind out, for which I was paid a $100. if you already own a Miniskid, and you want to grind the occasional stump, its good value, and fast enough.

How deep did you go? (we go 6 to 8" deep) was that a typical stump? When I ran the terra 3 years back she was painfully slow on a 11gal machine, :what:
Lyle said he was going to rework it . . sounds like he did . . . 2' in 35 minutes for the price and convenience of that attachment, sounds exceptable to me :)

Last edited:
Its good to see you about Ed. If a little tree service wanted not to get loaded down with gear, do you think a mini with a grinder would be a better option? The biggest stumps here are silver maples and they flair out like crazy under ground, making a 40" diameter stump into a 70" diameter stump two inches underground.

Is there a good thread ranking the various mini skids? Before I bought my truck I found a good thread ranking cab overs over at AS that helped me out.

Ed don't bet against my knowledge, you woulda lost!

Pops, Compact Equipment did an article comparing various mini skids against one another, although it wasn't a huge number of machines, mostly tracked.

Asking opinions of various machines may be the best bet. IMO, used it the way to go.

I bought a mini not only for the OCGD fix, but also because its hard finding laborers that I will tolerate. Today I did in about 2 hours (including unloading) what would have taken 2 guys 6 hours to do.

One of the blanks that your sending me Dave is destin to become an attempted stump grinder design of mine ;).

I never have much to say in this thread... (thank gawd !) ... my only real compulsion is sets of "3".
I never have much to say in this thread... (thank gawd !) ... my only real compulsion is sets of "3".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carl, can I borrow your miniskid? I have a couple jobs this week that would clean up easy with it, and I can fire my college kid groundie. he needs to learn hardship sooner or later I figure.

Why don't you humiliate him first and then he can get two life lessons under his belt.

the humiliation comes when I watch him try and run his new machine. I figure he is kinda jerkie and awkward. ;)

OK Carl, how do Dingo's rate?

Well, Tophopper has a 222 or 322 with a massive number of hours, still ticking along just fine. There is on on ebay that I was considering buying, in Bethany, CT about 10 minutes from Brendon. It has some welding on the boom but for $6k it looks sound (I nearly bought it).

I am fairly mechanically apt, working on the machines is fairly easy.

Sure Paul, but don't neglect future labor requiring endeavors. If the person doesn't produce, cut it off. Deadwood is fatal to a company.

just teasing you Carl, I think you made a great purchase amigo.

I was trying to say for me, I aint firing Daniel, and I aint looking to hire another groundy. Need at least one part time helper to make life easier.

Thor, if you stall the cutter wheel on the grinding attachment, does it stall the mini's engine?

More pictures would be nice :)

Thor, if you stall the cutter wheel on the grinding attachment, does it stall the mini's engine?

More pictures would be nice :)
I was wondering the same only because...well..I hate it when that happens :X If you are nibbling away at a stump on the up slope of a hill & this little hemorrhoid of an occurrence takes place. You will find your unhappy self running for a phone to rehire your most recent fired. So they can to help dislodge the turd.

But..I will add this only takes place when some wiesenhiemer {ME} thinks direct drive meaning no disengagement lever or such is needed.

I was wondering the same only because...well..I hate it when that happens :X If you are nibbling away at a stump on the up slope of a hill & this little hemroid of an occurrance takes place. You will find your unhappy self running for a phone to rehire your recent fires to help dislodge the turd.

WTF are you on about

:?

I think he is talking about a piece of wood jamming the cutterwheel. A stump grinder should be able to stall the engine, it means that it is transfering all the power (besides losses from friction ect) to the stump from the engine. For belt driven grinders I see how it can be a pain, but you should be able to disengage the clutch and get the piece out without much hassle.

On my hydro grinders the most common time I stall the engine is while grinding, too big a bite or find a piece of wood thats a bit too thick to grind in one pass.

Being able to stall is important for hydro machines, otherwise your not getting 100% out of the machine, keeping it from stalling is up to the operator.

WTF are you on about

:?
My reply was in reference to Carl's post. Used a stumper once that was made from a conglomeration of stuff. It had no disengagement. It was dangerous...But when you killed the motor while whacking a stump you coudnt start it until you pushed it back so the teeth where clear. Wish I had taken some pics of that machine.

MMM, lotsa posts.
Ok, Carl, the terra will stall the mini, but not straight away. you can feel it blowing of pressure through a relief valve a bit, then it cuts out.

I would NOT buy a terra if I wanted to competativly be a stump contractor. But If I was a small tree service, and already owned a decent mini, yeah its a good option. I hired it to my buddy yesterday to grind the rest of the stumps in that garden, heres what he achieved -

5 lawson cypress 28" across
3 cherry 48"
1 oak 24"
11 cherry 12"
22 apple 6 - 12"
about 6 cypress 8 - 10"

all ground out completly including roots, in 10 hours, including cleanup. I think thats acceptable. the Ramrod 1150 has 13 gallon flow and 28 hp.

I took off half the teeth, that made it cut faster, and my next mod is to cut back the hood a little.

Sundries. Pfanner belt (about the only thing I can afford from them right now) bloodstopper for the saddle and a set of clear glasses, its tough with all this fog and such, the yellow ones are weird and the shades are too dark. sigh. I cant help myself.

Good thinking with the blood stopper kit Paul. If you hurt yourself climbing the time it would take you to descend 15' to the ground could be the difference between life and death.

Back