Northern California Fires

Stig, Kings Canyon is also on fire right now. The old lodge is gone. The General Grant Tree and other icons in the Grant Grove have been wrapped in foil to prevent burning. There is another big fire near Yosemite and of course the Butte fire near Stephen. Up north Trinity has been burning in 3 areas since the July thunderstorms. We are going to get rain later today into tomorrow and hopefully there will be some relief.
I find it curious they are wrapping trees in foil. Never heard of that. I'd like to see a pic of it but haven't come across one yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fire behavior is unprecedented ... Saw a pic on FB of Middletown , scary looking as the wall of flame is hundreds of feet high.

All the anti logging sure saved all the trees now didn't it..... :X:(

they sure did.....

7c5QJO5.jpg

Ember attack, super heated air, volatile oils from trees...nothing is safe.
I'm only just beginning to get a grip on bush fires, and what the catastrophic ones are capable of is beyond imagination. About 40 (I think) Firefighters from Australia and New Zealand have gone to California to help, with the big ones it's all hands on deck.

We are about to head into bushfire season here, pre-season briefings next month and predictions are for an active season.

For Stig's point of reference.
Remember when we drove the old hwy road from my house after we crossed the hwy 140 to Yosemite?
The little one lane bridge over the creek area on our way to climb that tree?
That whole area and east of it, damn near all the way to the tree we climbed, from the hwy we crossed is on fire. Damn near that whole road. It ran up into the Sierra National forest and almost as far south as the hwy to Oakhurst.
Probably one of the most populated areas in Mariposa Co.

Following...It will be our turn in a few months.
Hope you stay safe

Back