milling thread

Anyone know if the Granberg extension rails will fit most other brand mills? Or can someone give me the dimensions of the rails and tube, so I can see if it's the same as mine? I'm thinking if getting the 48" rails since I have a 42" bar.

Forgot to check when I got home. The tube is ⅞", and the bar is 1⅛"². That's measured with a normal tape measure, so not gnat's ass, but it's probably right.

The lumber sold at a hardware store; does the mill seal the end grain before milling and cut off the sealant after kiln drying? Or does pine not split enough to worry about?

Here, all the lumbers for carpentry and roofing (from 1"x1" to 6"x6" and 9"x3") at the hardware store are completely green, full of water. They come from the mill directly after being cut. Just a little dip in a yellow soup, as a matter to say that they have been "treated" (mandatory). Actually the treatment doesn't even prevent the fungi to grow like crazy. If they stay in summer, you can tell that they begin to dry because they warp !
There are some wood kiln dried, but they are inside, at the supply for furnitures and are crazy expensive. I have never seen an end sealant.

Here, all the lumbers for carpentry and roofing (from 1"x1" to 6"x6" and 9"x3") at the hardware store are completely green, full of water. They come from the mill directly after being cut. Just a little dip in a yellow soup, as a matter to say that they have been "treated" (mandatory). Actually the treatment doesn't even prevent the fungi to grow like crazy. If they stay in summer, you can tell that they begin to dry because they warp !
There are some wood kiln dried, but they are inside, at the supply for furnitures and are crazy expensive. I have never seen an end sealant.
I've seen pressure treated landscaping timbers like that. I didn't know if they didn't dry them after the pressure treatment or how that works, but they were soaking wet, and after a couple days in the sun assembled as a flower bed border they all lifted and warped like crazy.

I'm talking about the untreated stuff found inside for house building.

Did a nice job on this beech - spalting was just getting going, so I have left some more of it stacked for View attachment 111597View attachment 111598next summer.
Does the 880 oil well? I was not impressed with how one I used once oiled a 30" bar when set on max. I expected oil flying everywhere, but it looked a little dry after a cut. I haven't run one long enough to know how full the oil tank is after the gas runs out. With the side tensioner and adjustable carb I want to get one for milling.

Does the 880 oil well? I was not impressed with how one I used once oiled a 30" bar when set on max. I expected oil flying everywhere, but it looked a little dry after a cut. I haven't run one long enough to know how full the oil tank is after the gas runs out. With the side tensioner and adjustable carb I want to get one for milling.
They oil well enough. I think if you are running a big bar & milling a lot then you should look at an auxiliar/suplimentary oiler. No saw likes to lubricate a 60” bar on a long cut through hardwoods

I tried it with my 405nm laser, and didn't get much, but that laser only gets a reaction 90% of the time from stuff that should fluoresc. I don't think it is quite a uv light being above 400nm.

Yes, I'd say that your laser doesn't reach the uvlight domain but is near the frontier (for human eyes) of the visible light, as a dark violet if we can say that. But the limits are somewhat blurry and only conventional. The wave length's variation is continuous, while some physical reactions can be extremely precise. If you don't give the right wave length, you don't get what you expect.

Last edited:
I should try Red Armor. I think the PoulanPro oil was burning my eyes. I noticed it more with my brushcutter. The Stihl silver doesn't seem to give me problems. If anyone's interested, US Amazon is selling it for $56/G. That's pretty cheap for any kind of 2stroke oil, and Red Armor has a good rep.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Echo-6550050-Armor-Cycle-Gallon/dp/B07ML5P5QZ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=red+armor+oil&qid=1625013570&sr=8-2

Back