Matt Cornell Rope Saddle thread

Ok, even though I have not been climbing on the MCRS for very long, I can honestly say that it is the best tree working saddle I have ever used!

It has some things that take getting used to, like the floppy side rings in place of the more normal forward set D rings. I flipped the knots on mine so instead of pointing upwards and falling back, they now face down and fall forward. That keeps them more accessible for me.
But beyond the need to adjust to the difference in some of the components and fitting requirements, this saddle rocks! Two things that stand out are the waist belt and the smoothness of lateral movement. The waist belt not only gives great support, in part due to its large size, but the inside being leather means it stays where you put it. In my opinion, nothing does this better than leather. The lateral movement is so smooth without being overly sensitive You do not have that side flopping feel you might expect. It feels perfectly neutral and non-restricting.
Anyone in the market for a new saddle should give serious consideration to the MCRS.

I noticed some interest in this old post, so thought I should do an update.

While all that I said above is still true, the MRCS is no longer available and has been replaced with his newer model, the Valiant.

I have not handled the Valiant but I do like the changes that have been made. Unfortunately, the shape has also changed enough that a direct comparison could be misleading. So if you are getting one of these, do your homework.

On an aside, I have since gone back to a Treemotion, specifically the S. Light. For the type of climbing I do now, which is almost all pruning, the S.Light is ideal. It is a very good harness.

Bump.

I was in Endor's on my recent trip (seems a certain Northern Ohio member spends a bit of time there), and saw the owner's version of it. The Valiant is an interesting concept I'd like to try at some point. Oh, and Endors is worth giving some biz too (as Scott the owner is a tree guy; he's a climber, tree biz man, educator and he splices some gnarly shite).

I've been climbing in the MCRS for many years. Idk that the rope offers nearly the support under thighs as a webbing strap would, as I've had on my previous ErgoLite or Glide II before that. Haven't tried them on to see.

I got a bit to skinny for the ErgoLite and needed a new saddle. I think it was a 32"-36. I was down to a 31" waist at one point after I bought the Ergolite when I was doing lots of bucket flying and felling, and a baby.

Leather saddles and spur pads aren't ideal for PNWet weather.

Back