Petzl Sequoia saddle issue

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I found this on Facebook just a moment ago. Not sure if anyone here climbs on one but maybe there is a torque issue with that bolt. Stay safe.

Attachments

• IMG_5864.png
    IMG_5864.png
    809.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5865.png
    IMG_5865.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5866.png
    IMG_5866.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5867.png
    IMG_5867.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
As do I. Having trouble getting the attachments in a viewable form...any suggestions?
I'm not familiar enough with the saddle to know exactly what I'm looking at, but a metal part supporting the bridge broke. Does this pic help?

Screenshot_2023-07-17_20-44-12.png

Did this part break when unscrewing?
The saddle was 3 years old. The climber had replaced the bridge about 3 months earlier. While on a limb walk, he almost had the bridge completely loaded when the metal failed. When installing the bridge, he didn't use a torque wrench, so that's an unaccounted for variable. The saddle has gone back to Petzl for analysis.

The threads of the unbroken mate to the bolt seems to be corroded? Or could it be some fabric fuzz?...I cannot really tell from the photo.

Last edited:
I now understand my lack of full comprehension in looking at the pictures. My Sequoia is an older model and uses a different type of opening ring to mount the bridge than this version uses.

Does anyone know of any problems with the older rings that caused Petzl to change them, perhaps? Mine appear to be fine...to the best of my ability to tell :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suppose it needs to be checked for corrosion AND proper torque. Maybe the gentleman with the problem had an over torqued bolt that was weakened by corrosion due to sweat (saltwater). 🤷‍♂️

Does anyone know of any problems with the older rings that caused Petzl to change them, perhaps?
I bet that's just a marketing thing. Likely more bling and a more complicated look for the tech lovers. To " justify" a nicer price tag too. To me, it looks similar to the goal of the rigging blocks from BMM for example.

Last edited:
I found this on Facebook just a moment ago. Not sure if anyone here climbs on one but maybe there is a torque issue with that bolt. Stay safe.
When those links came out on that saddle, for that bridge, I just felt it was a bad idea. That and Petzl was in the process of making some of their kit smaller and lighter.
I love those SS clevis on my Tree Austria. Little lock tite and regular inspection, good to go.
Steel and aluminum threaded together like that. Meh.

My Petzl Sequoia SRT 2 saddle is almost four years old. I don't observe any corrosion. Probably, this case with a broken bolt is the only one in the whole world, and most likely it happened because of the crooked hands of the user.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My Petzl Sequoia SRT 2 saddle is almost four years old. I don't observe any corrosion. Probably, this case with a broken bolt is the only one in the whole world, and most likely it happened because of the crooked hands of the user.
Very well could be the user. How’s the weather where you are? Mostly cold? We have very hot and humid summers. My saddle gets soaked in 20 minutes. I inspect for corrosion frequently due to all the salty sweat it comes into contact with.

I though it may have been a 1 off so I asked my fellow proctor at the CTW test of he had any problems with his guys in the field and the sequoia. He said 4 guys had reported broken pins in the lower bridge. This was just one local guy who manages a nationwide company in my area.

Either way it made me not want to think about that pin. After 25 years of climbing I like to minimize the weak links in the chain so to speak.

Got an MB 2.0 and it's nice. No problem with a solid milled lower d.

Back