Saddle recommendations

Billhowe1

Treehouser
I'm in need of a new saddle, I'm debating between a tree motion, Buckingham puma I think it's called, and a really comfy looking weaver a local shop has with a strap bridge instead of a rope. I'm open to any other recommendations as well. I'm literally just starting (this past Monday to be exact) with srt, mainly drt on a hitch climber setup.

Welcome! Of the three harnesses I have, my new NewTribe Onyx is my favorite by a long shot. Allows hanging in rope comfortably for an indefinite amount of time. I also have a Camp fall arrest harness that pinches in the crotch a bit, and is less comfortable for hanging a long time, and a Buckingham 4D saddle that's great for spur work, but absolutely awful for hanging in rope.

I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm not in any of them every day or anything. If this is your career, I'd encourage you to not weight cost too heavily in your decision. $100-$200 one way or another is nothing for something that's gonna last at least a couple years, and you're spending hours a day in. Get what you think is most comfortable, ideally hanging in them in a shop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, the biggest thing for me is good back padding/lumbar support, how's that on a tree motion?

I flew a cougar and loved it. Replaced the web bridge with rope and a ring. Earlier days of cougar though. Passed it on to a trainee and went with the Tree Austria next. Cougar was comfy though. Heavier than my Austria. But still not so much it was an issue. I needed fall arrest and the Austria doubles as both a climbing and, rated for fall arrest, bucket lift. No need to change my saddle and I can climb into the tree from the bucket as needed.

I really like the monkey beaver. I've been in it for 4-5 yrs now and i wouldn't change it for much of anything. Had a new tribe onyx before that which was also a good saddle but the belt on the MB is a big improvement for heavy work

I would stay away from the strap bridge. Rope bridge is the way to go. Cheap, easy, available means you're likely to replace more often

The Puma and the Cougar (almost the same saddle, different manufacturers and subtle differences) are a bit lame out of the box, but can be modified if you’re not with Davey or one of the big line clearance outfits. Look into Liger mod. It gives you lower Ds via a pair of rigging plates, and a rope bridge.

I’m partial to Buckingham products, they really build stuff to last, but I suppose Weaver does too.

If money ain’t a thing, get a TM. I like the SuperLight TM better. And if money REALLY ain’t a thang, get an Ergovation. Very comfy.

I haven’t tried an Onyx or MonkeyBeaver, but I hear wonderful stuff.

It is ridiculous. I’m very happy with mine, but somehow I got it from Amazon for 140$ or so. Bought one for the girlfriend too at that price, but they needed rigging plates and a rope bridge added. They looked like this originally. Those center attachment and upper FA harness attachment points are still there, so it’s like the SRT version of most rope bridge saddles.

I used Rock Exotica Tri-Rig plates for mine. For Toni’s I used a pair of Russ Anderson SMC figure 8s. As far as I can tell, there’s no other figure 8s without ears that have that little center hole that we use for the rope bridge.
93397F6F-924F-4162-82AC-EBF128E6E085.jpeg CC7A377D-0218-407E-9DE9-C0FFA35B3573.jpeg

Only been in an old school weaver and the Treemotion super light. With my lower back issues the TM SL helped a lot. My issues aren’t spinal but muscular. My boss is talking about buying me the evo (has more padding) and holding on to my SL for the very rare times he wants to climb

One more vote for the monkey beaver. I also got their suspenders and extra leg loop cushion. The saddle is so comfortable that it doesn't need them but i used them anyways and they take it to the next level of comfort. One of the reasons i got this saddle over everything else was the design of the leg loops. The belt is also fantastic nice, wide and soft.i have only been in it for as long as 6 hours in a tree with out a break but i never once did i feel uncomfortable. If you can wait a month to two for delivery its worth it. If you cant go with the new tribe onyx saddle. They are almost the same

Hey all sorry I haven't been on, I ended up getting the monkey beaver harness with suspenders and extra leg pads, by far the most comfortable saddle I've used in 20 years of climbing. It's been a really busy year, then I lost my dad in August so I've been even busier looking after my mom.

Me too ... Losing my father was one of the most difficult thing to go through in my life... It took me about 5 years to fully recovered... To accept the fact ... that my father is passed on to other side ...
My sincere condolences to you and your family . 🙏

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it's definitely been rough, and me being me I just keep myself busy to keep my mind off of it, I was really close to my dad so it definitely hit me hard.

Back