Kyles redneck builds/ ideas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
20211009_183522.jpg

Yarding my ladder, it's gonna work lol. I need to figure out a different lead into the winch, but yeah it's coming.

Cool. Do you think the rope will align with the capstan roller and stay on with a heavier load? It looks a bit skewed on the photo.

edit: my bad I didn't read your post enough

I probably missed it earlier but will the loads coming from the side be mostly lined up with the infeed chute when they arrive there?

Not necessarily. It will basically work like a baby swing yarder, once the limb is all the way in I'll have to grab the tips and manually swing it over the chute. I'm thinking if i run a double sheave pulley i could even have power haulback as well, and if the self tailer idea i have works i could even run another bollard to brake the haulback line, which would allow highline and skyline rigging possibilities. I'll still be able to carry my log arch and arbor trolley on the chipper tray, so I'll have those there as well. I'm hoping with the arch I'll be able to bring out logs under power with almost zero ground damage, and if i could run a running skyline for the brush before dropping the stem, i should be far more productive than just the carts and still be super low impact on the lawns here.

It's surprisingly sturdy, but yeah I'll probably gusset them. Ideally i would x brace it, but there's no where near enough room for that. The structure is efficiency (and simplicity) itself, pretty much everything on it is either in tension or compression, there's no bending loading on any structural members.

there's no bending loading on any structural members.
Yes, there are two noticeable : the contact between the horizontal pipes and the main mast. Maybe not enough to be a concern, but the mast would tend to be folded outside at this point.

Ideally i would x brace it, but there's no where near enough room for that.
Too bad, this damned chipper is in the way.:D

I don't remember if you said it previously, which load do you expect to lift with it?

It was too much when i started, now it's just about right, but I'm not done yet lol. I might add some weight up front when I'm done. Might do a small toolbox or something.

He gone be crackin a huge smile when that first load of brush comes sliding no-damage across the lawn from 100' away. Chipping gone seem like a treat!

I think i figured out the lead to the winch, I'm going to place blocks higher up on the mast, down to another pulley by the gooseneck, then to the boom tip. If I'm hoping to run to lines so i have a haulback, that's going to be the best lead. Also if i decide to switch to an actual winch down the road, I'll have a better chance of getting the proper fleet angle by mounting them like that too. I was thinking of getting some of the double sheave blocks, but after pricing stuff I'm just gonna run these larger wire rope ones, which are cheaper and better since they are on ball bearings and are grease-able. Still need to do the bollards, outriggers, and finish the door.

20211010_160336.jpg 20211010_160350.jpg 20211010_161028.jpg 20211010_161215.jpg 20211010_162527.jpg

Probably already mentioned but what is going to power the winch

I'm going to use a big right angle drill. Think drill on a grcs, cause that's about what this is. Pretty much all of this pipe is former natural gas piping that was demoed from a job i was one, a former grocery store.

Cool. That'll give you plenty of speed and power, right?

Yeah, it'll do. I'm thinking around 1k line pull, 60 feet a min on the low and slow setting, around 300 feet a min on the return trip.

Last edited:
Westtech rigging is where i got them, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't work on rope. They are 5 inch, half inch rope size, and are round just like you would expect. There's even pictures of Jerry using them in the fundamentals too, most of the rigging blocks pictured look like the logging blocks I'm using. They are new tho, so they don't have any burrs like steel rope can do to them.

Back