Knee Ascender, Buy Or Build?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I think I'm sold on the knee ascender. Might not want to use it all the time, but it's worth having in the bag. They're pretty spendy to buy. The cheapest is the SAKA @ $140. Looks like you could assemble something functional for $100 tops using premade components of US or Euro manufacture. Even cheaper if you went Chinese, or sewed the webbing yourself. Are the purpose built units worth the premium?

I prefer the original haas but use a haas volex at this time. My haas fell off the truck with the rest of my gear a few years ago and I couldn’t readily get another. I have not tried the SAKA yet. Maybe I should.
As for building one, I think there is a thread here about it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The review on wesspur says this...

“Absolute best knee ascender hands down. Just buy it already. I went through about 4 iterations of a self build SAKA as well as the original HASS over the last 6 years I've climbed SRT and honestly I can't believe it took my this long to buy a SAKA. Look, my home made versions mostly worked well, I never felt I was at a disadvantage with them and yet this thing blows them out of the water no competition. Do yourself a favor and buy the SAKA and forget about tinkering ever again cause it just plane works. You're a climber not a gear designer, no need to mess with DIY anymore. ”

Is that pretty accurate you think? I'm not trying to save money at all costs. If it's worth $140, I'll pay $140, no problem. Hell, even if it's only worth $120, it's worth $20 for someone to do it for me.

I got this June 2020 and it has been great. This made SRT actually start working for me...along with a chest harness.

Well made, no glitches so far.

I started with a homemade knee ascender, put it together when we were all talking about switching to SRT worked ok, its in the bottom of my bag just in case.
I bought a SAKA mini when he was going through the stiff tether argument with Weaver (was it weaver?) Still have it, still use it every climb. Worth the $$$

IMO seeing as you are not a full time climber build one make some money with it and up grade later on. Building your own tree gear is kind of a rite of passage. I wouldn’t be buying bulk tennex if I wanted somebody else making my slings, or splicing my rigging lines. Making custom things are what tree peeps do.

That's a decent point. A couple questions for a self build... How important is a stiff tether? and do you think a hand ascender would work, or would it be a bulky PITA? Asking about the ascender cause I don't have spare parts, so buying a hand ascender would get me a hand ascender if the build doesn't work out, rather than a chest ascender I do what(?) with.

“Use what you got and use it until used up”
It’s not like any of “the build” gets destroyed so go for it.
A hand ascender may be a bulky choice for a knee ascender but it will work and at the time of upgrade your knee ascender becomes a hand ascender again. I like gear that can be used in different configurations with multiple uses, more bang for your buck.

I've never used a stiff tether on knee ascenders, it bounces up just fine with enough tension. Maybe I dunno what I'm missing though?
On my home made one, I could separate the bungee and the footloop from the ascender, then use the ascender for a 3:1 setup for returns from being way out on branches or way down (clearing cliffs)

I built one, but I may get a saka foldable when they're released. The one I made mostly works, but I used a cmi foot ascender due to the good deal I got on it, and it's a honkin' chunk of aluminum that bangs into my leg when it isn't hooked to rope. I may still drill it to relieve some weight, but that won't fully address the problem.

My experience is very similar to Wesspur reviewer. I enjoyed making my own. It worked well…but SAKA works better and is worth the money. Richard is a good guy to support. Even if I made my own again I would buy his $30 foot loop.

IMO seeing as you are not a full time climber build one make some money with it and up grade later on. Building your own tree gear is kind of a rite of passage. I wouldn’t be buying bulk tennex if I wanted somebody else making my slings, or splicing my rigging lines. Making custom things are what tree peeps do.
I agree totally. Even though I also agreed with people who said that the SAKA is totally worth the money.

A stiff tether is not that critical as long as the bungees have some good pull. A stiffy helps with less tangles with the foot ascender.
I am glad to learn this. I mistakenly thought it was important so my homebrew HAAS had a thin, light board in it! Some humorist in The Treehouse said I could use it for driving wedges or defensive action against racoons!
When I have loaned it to first time climbers they struggled with it running into their thigh. I must have somehow found a technique to ropewalk without it poking me.

Last edited:
I ended up getting a foldable saka, but this post by @Naturarbo got my attention...

I want to try to make something like this for my secondary truck kit. For footloops, I like the way this one looks. I'll probably get it if I have to buy one...

I had not seen the System 3A until this post led me to it. If my memory is not failing me again, Dan Holiday (ClimbingArborist on You Tube) uses a home made knee ascender strapped rigidly below his knee. Whatever works for you (safely) is all good. I am sticking to the SAKA and my board stiffened fake Haas.

Back