Hunting 2021

stikine

Treehouser
Went out for a short hunt today after a covid booster... just to set some of our anti covid folks off. Not much going on. Did see a last year small moose shed during my round. It appears my "spot has been found" because I saw some survey flagging and a game camera. IMG_20211113_140320_HDR.jpg IMG_20211113_140425_HDR.jpg

lxskllr

Treehouser
I guess it's moss/algae? I've found some pretty old whitetail sheds, and they've always been antler colored.

edit:
You posted while I was typing :^D

lxskllr

Treehouser
I keep the ones I find with the intention of making something, but can't bring myself to cut them up, cause they're cool looking as-is. I have one I cut a point off of to make a pendant for my daughter, so that's the project antler for now. I should make something with it. I also need to gather all my antlers, and see exactly what I have. They're scattered all over the place.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
At one time I turned bottle stoppers from antlers.
Cut the tines off, set them in a small block of wood and turned it down to fit a hollow cork.

Sold like hot cakes in our local hunting store.

Danish hunters will buy anything that says " Hunting" no matter the price.

Ironically, I got the antlers from a deer farm. :lol:

lxskllr

Treehouser
Those ulus are nice Austin. I have a couple commercial ones that I got from the thrift shop. They're from the big(relative) Alaskan company that makes them for tourists probably, but I don't remember the name without looking it up. Those knives are really handy. Everybody should have one.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
“Antler Bottle-stops…turned from domestic deer antler…by local vegetarian”. I’d buy one just because of the name!
Probably would have bought some meat from"The only vegetarian cattle ranch east of the Pecos river", too.

That is how I used to welcome Americans to my place, back when I raised cattle.

treesmith

Banned
Our deer season (rifle) opened today. I spent most of the day with my grandsons. Hauling wood. Building a fire in the fire pit. Just before dark I saw a nice 8-point in my greenfield, 350 yards from my front porch. I decided I didn’t feel like skinning him with my bum arm, and sure ain’t paying someone else $25 to skin him! There’ll be another day….

stikine

Treehouser
Now you are meat poor. I thought the deer season in Alabama was open year round, or was it you can harvest one each day during the season?

treesmith

Banned
Yes. Three buck limit and one of the three has to meet some minimum requirement. It’s ridiculous.