• Hey Guest,
    Just a heads up, The Tree House will be unavailable for about 10-15 minutes starting at 5pm CST tonight. This is just a super quick maintenance period.

Thanks!
    Brandon

Hunting 2021

treebogan

Treehouser
I get my gun license interview oct 25th… looking forward to harvesting wild pigs in the back yard.
Gonna weld up a cage too… I guess the challenge is not to pop the bladder when you’re skinning and butchering…
Just take extra care gutting a wild pig, you never know what there last meal was.If you pop its guts and its last meal was a rotten animal you can get quite sick if you eat the tainted meat.

Shoot it and gut it as quick as you can. Pork spoils fast.

Bodean

Cali dreamer
Thanks Guys. Looking forward to it… we got hella pig back here.
Great insights…. Buried cooking pit is called an Imu… so tender.

I have a few friends to help me on the first ones… theyve offered to take me out too… Dogs and Knives.

Attachments

FireFighterZero

Captain Zero!
I've never seen a wild mountain lion which likely gives me and big Jim something in common.

Having read a fair amount on them, I too am generally in favor of them.

Why do you think lions in IA is dumb?

treetx, why are you being paid to trap swine in Spain?
For the same reason the nice folks in Martha's Vineyard don't like brown people.

It just doesn't fit.

How much wild country is left in Iowa?

cory

Tree House enthusiast
For the same reason the nice folks in Martha's Vineyard don't like brown people.
How much wild country is left in Iowa?
\

Now, now, enough with the broad generalizations.

Idk how much is left, but apparently, enough :rockhard:

treesmith

Banned
Seems folks who are so “concerned” about such garbage would put their money where their mouth is…though we know that isn’t about to happen.

treetx

Traveler extraordinaire
Deva, way cool. I deal with feral swine and wild boar (native swine) issues as I deal with a new type of device for catching them. All the bubbas in the south would hurt to hear this, but California has by far the biggest wild hogs. 300 pound pigs are normal there.

I am doing a project with the Catalan govt largely for African Swine Fever preparation as that disease is spreading across Europe. I'm not euthanizing any of the animals. Catching is where my involvement ends.

Bodean

Cali dreamer
haha 😝. Squid in the toilet.

Sounds cool Nate….

my buddy lost gun rights to a felony…. So he tracks for hours and many miles big pigs in Mendo… then uses the bow and arrow,,, says he kept a youngster.. estimates it at 700 lbs… big Russian pig…

treebogan

Treehouser
I was charged by a wild boar in front of my wife to be. I shot it on the run with a 308 but hit it too far back, it wheeled around and went after me. I had to wait a split second before it launched out of the gorse at the roadside, i fired instinctively hitting it in the head but its momentum ment I had to tolerate it busting into me.

Two days before the wedding, she was terrified and I was laughing like a loon.

Bodean

Cali dreamer
Yeah défo…. Also realized I need a freezer box to store the meat…. They “say” if you freeze the meat for a month it helps tenderize the meat….
Id rather not strip off what I want and leave a pile of shit in the field…

Ed L

Treehouser
Getting my crap ready for tues. am firearm deer opener. Want to be 95٪ ready tonite.
Forecast 39° cloudy with snow showers...Looks like the muzzleloader will be the choice. 50mm objective on the scope compared to 32mm on the Contender. Don't want to be handicapped by the lack of light.

At least our woods is not flooded this year, bone dry, deer don't like water, more so when it cuts the property in half. They go somewhere else.

Ed

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Though the wild pigs there are evidently a problem that needs to be dealt with, is it difficult to be part of a mass slaughter and get your pic taken, if that is you, amidst it.

treetx

Traveler extraordinaire
The human in the picture is me. It gives reference to the size of the animal. It's not like I was beaming with pride in the pic. They were euthanized with a captive bolt. It isn't a mass slaughter. The animals were all aged (by teeth), stomach content analyzed (check what they prey on), and their sex was recorded.

The chain is to keep that boar from hurting anyone if he woke up. The big ones were brought down with a tranquilizer dart. All the pigs in that picture are still alive.