How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 182K
So I am planning a big rope swing for this year. The design involves pulling the user back and up to a high anchor where then they have to release themselves...I have been kicking around ideas for a quick release that meets a few criteria. The user shouldnt have to hold it, it should be easy to release, nothing can snap back at the user.... Well its been staring me in the face everyday...

I made up a short 'split tail' out of some 1/2" rigging line, tapered and melted the tail. Attached the HH to it and, in theory, once hoisted the user should just be able to slide right off the end. I made it long enough to have a stopper knot below the HH so there arent any mistakes. Nothing revolutionary by any means but it was a revelation for me!

IMG_20130728_184731-1.jpg

IMG_20130728_184747-1.jpg

IMG_20130728_184826-1.jpg

Why not just use a quick release snap shackle? We had one on our Giant Swing at the ropes course I used to work on and it worked perfect.

love
nick

You mean a panic snap? I put one on my BigShot, it recoiled with such force it snapped in half and it gave me a nasty blood blister...

The last time I was hoisted in the intended fasion,the force on the hardware/rigging was way higher then I normally encounter. By the time I was almost level with my anchor there was way more force than body weight on the lines. I am not an engineer so I cant quantify it for you but I was unable to take up even an 1" of slack with all my effort. I feel comfortable though that the HH can handle it.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that the way we set it up, nothing would EVER snap back at the user. There isn't recoil. We have launched hundreds of kids with the same setup and people just simply don't get hurt with it. It is, dare I say, fool proof.

You have a carabiner on the haul rope, you have a carabiner on the swinger's harness. Clip the static eye of the snap shackle to the swinger's carabiner. Clip the opening eye of the shackle to the haul rope carabiner. Haul swinger in place, they pull the pull cord, let the fun ensue!

The HH is an amazing tool, but it's kinda hefty for this, no? Couldn't it slam down into someones knee or something like that?

Here's the snap shackle we used-

216403.jpg

I swapped the pull cord for one that I made with a larger monkey's fist in it. Worked sharp.

Your system has the advantage of consisting of pieces you already have.

I use this snap shackle on my big shot, too. It's gentle- it doesn't recoil back at my hands.

Thats not the panic snap I used... That looks like the sherrill big shot release. We will see how the HH works out... I have two so atleast I will be cycle users through.

You mean a panic snap? I put one on my BigShot, it recoiled with such force it snapped in half and it gave me a nasty blood blister...

Hey Nick, how'd you rig the panic snap that it hurt you? It would be good to share that as a safety alert for the rest of us.

I made up a new advancing tether for my HH a few weeks ago, but it was too short. Finally got around to making another. It is 8mm TVP and two layers of heat shrink.

IMG_20130803_191605-1.jpg

IMG_20130803_191645-1.jpg

I also worked up a hybrid adjustable eye thing I have been working on...I wanted to make a sling to hold an XRR, but have the ring be removable. The other objective was to eliminate the traditional tail seen on a whoopie or other adjustable splice. Its a traditional bury splice but it is lock stitched way down the tail so you can milk the eye bigger and smaller.

IMG_20130803_182632.jpg

IMG_20130803_182646.jpg

IMG_20130803_182705.jpg

IMG_20130803_182749.jpg

The XRR thing is 10mm TVP. Thanks BTW, for both pieces of cord Randy!

I can actually, after about a minute of fighting, wiggle a large 28/20 XRR into the big eye.

Nick,
when we talked on the phone a short while ago you mentioned something about a longer Rigsaver, remind me again please the lengths you suggested??? :?
I'm at the beginning stages of pulling together the materials for my next splicing project, possibly a longer Rigsaver..... :D

Thanks. :)
Either that or replacing the body on my Rigsaver back to the length it "should" be.....:D

I've also been thinking of splicing myself a long climbing lanyard, I'm thinkin' 15' or more..... :dontknow:

This is a rope choice question, mainly as it relates to splicing.

As a new climber, I'm gathering 'tools', etc, as I realize I need them. I want to order a custom 2-eye lanyard that is long enough to go around the relatively small trees I'll be climbing, and use it with a pulley-attended friction knot to adjust slack as needed.
I'm thinking about 15-ft overall length should do it, but I have no idea what the best rope type might be for this lanyard - something with a fairly tough cover, and not necessarily super light-weight or high-tech?

I gather I have to allow an extra 3 ft of rope for each eye splice - does that sound right?

Should my first lanyard be made from 7/16" or 1/2" rope?

When adding eye-splices, are there any significant pros and cons for 16-strand vs. 24-strand rope?

Dumb question: I'm thinking of making this thing as multi-purpose as possible - is there anything dumb or disadvantageous about having different eye splice sizes at each end (small eye at one end and regular (5" ?) eye at the end tended by the friction knot)?
Thanks, Neil

I think 12' is a good length, 1/2" rope is too big for my preference.

My understanding is that 16 strand is much more difficult to splice than 24 strand double braid.

Thanks Randy!

I was thinking of how to make an eyesplice that I could remove an XRR from... Last week I made this, it is a standard bury splice but I lockstitched it down the tail aways. You can milk the throat back enlarging the eye then milk it forward to close it up. Havent 'tested' it yet, dont really plan to use it but it was an interesting experiment.

IMG_20130803_182632.jpg

IMG_20130803_182646.jpg

Back