How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 182K
The labels are 'oversized' for a reason, they arent for production work. Each piece is only a few feet long anyway so they wouldnt be much good. I agree that a little shorter would make sense for work ropes.

The heavy wall black stuff is really nice, I havent used the clear that Merle sent me but it looks fine. The clear I used there is much thinner, its the stuff from TreeStuff.

The layer of heavy wall black with the thin wall clear on it, i CANNOT bend it with my hands. Its hard as a rock. Having a heat gun makes all the difference man, I feel so dumb for all the stuff I used a lighter to do, or even a blowtorch back in my tower days.

I know of a rec climbr in Ohio who splices and she is good at it too... I am sure there are more out there.

Time is a problem. Do any of your guys have your wives or girlfriends learning splicing? I told my wife recently that I found a new challenge for her, splicing, since she seems to have about completed the one required with me. Don't you think it would be cool to come home to a well executed splice that you requested in the morning? I think it would be awesome! For some reason I haven't heard of any lady splicers, but I'm sure they exist.

Some Targetline that I quiclky spliced up. No measurements or anything, I just buried my needle into as much line as I could bunch on it and then yanked it through, tapered it, pulled it back and lockstitched it with a single thread from some whipping twine.

IMG_20130714_162708.jpg

IMG_20130714_162625.jpg

Made up an Amsteel Whoopie for a guy at work... 1/2" Stuff so MBS 34k lbs. With Samson rating Whoopie slings at 60% thats a 20,400lb MBS so call it 4,000lb-SWL

It adjusts from a hair under 6' all the way up to almost 12'. He has both DMM blocks and wanted slings to match!

IMG_20130715_213252-1.jpg
IMG_20130715_213306-1.jpg
IMG_20130715_213710-1.jpg

@ $3.45/foot he has around $100 in the materials alone!
Amsteel Blue by the foot

Then again a 3/8" Amsteel Whoopie that adjusts form 3-10' is $80
Amsteel Blue Whoopie

Tried to crank this out before breakfast. Easy 5/8" rigging sling. That block needs a bigger rope!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374944263.614830.jpg

It's for a removal of a dead euc this week.

love
nick

Back