How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
Not familiar with that rope but if the cover braid is loose there is the chance it can milk and the core moves inside the cover, happens on loads of double braid. Stitching it would be fine. The problem comes when you stitch it or cut it with a hot knife and the cover and core aren't equalised. If you cut and seal one end and tie it off on something solid then tie a prussic and run it down the entire length of the rope you will equalise it. Then cut and seal the other end and you should be golden

@friedrich I have milked it back and the two parts get very close to each other and are "equalised". Once I milk both ends again, I will cut a few inches on both ends and look into stitching them. Thanks to all who chimed in.

Last edited:
how where you able to make such a short double splice? for me the shortest i am able to bury is about 80 cm.
thats when i run out of core to be able to bury the cover.

Ok so I did the pulley side first, normal double braid splice, I forgot how much harder you have to work doing that! Before I did the other end I pulled some extra cover towards the first splice, I pinned back the cover as far as it could go which was short of a full fid length, then I took some of the core strands out like in the Splife, sewed the cross over with Dyneema twine then buried it, used the same twine for the whipping, hung 200k on it, I jumped on as well for good measure. If I did it again I would do the ring end splice on both ends and also make it slightly longer to get full fid length bury but anyway I was asked to make it that length.

Cool, just wondered if you had been NC’ing as double braids don’t like to be used like that, as the core and cover are independent and can cause some funny outcomes.

Has the rope of a bundle of loose cover in the middle?

Equalise or milk it with a Prussic knot or klemheist or similar friction hitch, then cut and seal it.

thanks for the advice. Browsing multiple threads about splicing and rope whipping sparked some interest. Whipping the end looks like a good way to ensure the core and cover do not move again.

@High Scale
I like the ring and pulley sling. Is the intended use a friction saver? It looks like there is a label on it. How did you do that? I have been thinking of labeling all my ropes with date they entered service.

Cool, just wondered if you had been NC’ing as double braids don’t like to be used like that, as the core and cover are independent and can cause some funny outcomes.

i‘ve heard this multiple times but never once experienced it, even after stupid heavy pieces on nc wraps.

also people said that the core will abrade during natural crotch rigging with double braids.
core looks almost like new even with heavily scorched cover. i have to remeber to take a picture later..

@High Scale
I like the ring and pulley sling. Is the intended use a friction saver? It looks like there is a label on it. How did you do that? I have been thinking of labeling all my ropes with date they entered service.

Remember to put the shrink wrap on before you finish the last splice and yes it's a very small friction saver.

I put rope manufacturer, rope type, diameter, date spliced, serial number from the reel and SWL Single user.

Looks like a skinny splice, maybe Teufelberger’s Drenaline, or Cousin’s?

Yeah it's a modified Drenaline Splife what the picture doesn't show is how short the length was, no room to tie a knot so I used a prussick for the anchor, I also caught a cover strand which meant I had to pull the cover through using our 200kg test weights, once though however the plucked strand smoothed out easily.

Not ideal but it was the only ex - sample piece I had and cannot break into a fresh length.

Back