How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
Wespur, treestuff, sherril all offer spliced double braids and im pretty sure 16 strand too.

I am an amateur splicer myself All of the splices broke above 4000lbs and even the one in the six k range still had good amount of movement during the whole pull. One thing i did notice that, the lower it broke, it seemed like the more movement there was. One thing that does provide some assurance is that the harder the pull the more the splice buries. So there is almost no way for the eye to come out without breaking the rope. I am talking about double braid specifically in this conversation.

Im sure that Lock stichin isnt a horrible technique, i just think that once that needle goes in you dont know if its going right in the middle of a thread or what chaos it causes to pop out the other side. I just prefer to keep my threads on the out side of the rope.

Yes @Marc-Antoine hopefully one operates no where near ones ropes breaking strength. But in the world of lowering limbs sometimes undesirable events happend when the limb leaves the tree.

Its just a feeling i have and because of that feeling, i very rarely lock stitch.

Sewing thru rope has been done since we invented rope, and it's what the manufacturer recommends to finish the splice. It locks everything in place, which is why the sailmakers whipping is still the longest lasting and most secure one. So without lock stitching the splice isn't done correctly, which is your prerogative i guess but not the way i would do it. I personally lock stitch then cover the stitch with a whipping so any abrasion won't get to the stitching, aka good rigging practice. All terminations are rated by how much they weaken the rope, most knots reduce strength by 40 percent while splices in rope are usually almost full breaking strength of the original line. They all have their place and very few lines need to have full strength terminations, hell even cranes use a wedge socket for the bitter end of the hoist cable that reduces strength by 20 percent but is easy to change in the field with minimal tools or skills. At the end of the day you need to know with a pretty damn good certainty that the load you will apply will not damage your rigging and vise versa.

You guys won! Sike! But i did think that in order for me not to be a hypocrite i had to at least try it on one of my splices to see how she goes. Now to infinity and Beyond!!!

Attachments

• 20220528_115723.jpg
    20220528_115723.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
Gutted I didn't get a chance to chat to you at the APF Carl. Popped into the tent (which was very cool BTW) and you were super busy then I got caught up and didn't make it back in there

It would have been good to meet mate, I don't think I've ever seen and talked to so many old and new faces.

One of the hardest double braids even when new, the core just puffs up as soon as you remove it from the cover.

Yeah, Don't remember splicing new rope it feels like so long since I've been asked. Feels like I'm only given things that have been climbed on in a swamp or pulled cars out of ditches. Keep meaning to buy a load of new rope from Courant just to have a play with it but keep wasting money on food and heating

This thread sees a lot of traffic so I am hijacking it. I would like to fix this situation on my rigging rope and maybe it will happen on my climbing rope too. Is there a name for this "condition". If there is a thread that already has info, feel free to point me to it.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20221130_202354.jpg
    20221130_202354.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 10
Milking? I think it's the nature of doublebraid rope. Dunno what the ramifications would be of trying to stitch the cover to the core.

Back