How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 181K
Inspired by Tommy’s footloop( excellent, thanks again Tommy and Burnham!) I tried a simple knee ascender out of a little scrap of some very old Velocity and a spare chest ascender. Still gotta put the bungee on somewhere. Very cool to know the 24 strand double braids can grip like 12 strand once they’re made hollow, like how whoopie slings grip. Tight jacket though.
Passed the end through it at the ascender and stitched it in place with some polyester C-Lon Tex 400. Wondering if I should’ve used more stitches, time will tell. Looks pretty once I covered my ugly stitches up with some shrink tubing.

386F9DD9-AF47-4034-9101-40116B5B8F45.jpeg 80E517AD-8D38-487C-A2F8-C22DCD541D62.jpeg B1AF46AA-BB71-41E6-8F7C-989B9B19E249.jpeg B532A643-91BA-4861-A16A-29FDA1D50E6E.jpeg

I have, for obvious reasons, not been using mine much, but Richard loves his and it is holding up fine.

I haven't totally given up on getting back in the trees.
Got a new steel core lanyard set up this week with a Petzl 2 way hook on the end that my right hand can work with.
Now I just have to learn to do everything else left handed.
No mean feat after climbing right handed for 37 years, but I'll give it a shot.

Been using mine a lot as well. Stays in place nicely and holds up to my abuse very respectfully. My only issue is the HAAS is a bit long once attached. Damn thing likes to smack me in the sack if I’m not careful

FBD81226-DD3C-476D-8BC4-2307BDA052FA.jpeg Pitiful attempt at 1/2” stablebraid. Several bad measurements I’m assuming. Not terrible for my first attempt in almost two years and trying to remember everything from then plus reading instructions on my phone while slightly intoxicated. Basically I’m playing with some scraps trying to figure it out

I feel you, everytime i do one i gotta refresh my memories as well. Here's my fav video for it, this dude makes it look as easy as can be.

Note:i never make it look easy :lol:

Stupid question, does anyone (else) do a longer eye splice and then sieze the ring/ thimble/ perfectly sized opening for rope in place?

Last edited:
Kinda agitating that the core on stablebraid is the same color as the cover. Thinking about another attempt but I also have some things I should do around the house. First I should probably clear off my work bench. That will give me room to work since I’m pretty sure the wife won’t be happy if I use the kitchen table all afternoon. Better do something though. Everyone knows nothing bothers a wife more than a husband doing nothing😎

Kinda agitating that the core on stablebraid is the same color as the cover. Thinking about another attempt but I also have some things I should do around the house. First I should probably clear off my work bench. That will give me room to work since I’m pretty sure the wife won’t be happy if I use the kitchen table all afternoon. Better do something though. Everyone knows nothing bothers a wife more than a husband doing nothing😎
Went through the exact same thing with 3/8” SB. Cover and core are all pink.

View attachment 105976Pitiful attempt at 1/2” stablebraid. Several bad measurements I’m assuming. Not terrible for my first attempt in almost two years and trying to remember everything from then plus reading instructions on my phone while slightly intoxicated. Basically I’m playing with some scraps trying to figure it out
I gotta ask did you pull it apart and see what happened or just cut that unholy abomination off at the end of the taper? My first couple looked like that and it was more burn it with fire.

I butchered that 3/8” by the way. I’ll be trying again soon. Think I should order a spool from maple leaf ropes before I screw up any more expensive stuff.

I gotta ask did you pull it apart and see what happened or just cut that unholy abomination off at the end of the taper? My first couple looked like that and it was more burn it with fire.
I just left it on there and used the other end for the second splice. Only a 7’ chunk of rope and it was a scrap from cutting rigging lines. I’m just playing for now.
96A43835-3034-4E4A-9242-5F9F5BE645F9.jpeg Not bad for round three. I know where I messed up here. I marked the eye a bit to tight

I was thinking that too.
Add a prusik with another ring on it and it’d have a massive range compared to most other adjustable friction savers.

@ruel @Jonny it’s for the spar on crane work. My last five crane jobs have had spar picks above 50”. I’ve been switching over to SRT for those but kind of a hassle since I don’t normally have a rope wrench in my bag. Could just put that in there for those days but I also had a piece of 16 strand and time on my hands. I’ve got a prussic with a ring on it made up so it’s adjustable now. I’m finding splicing to be helpful for stress relief. As a friend of mine calls it “rope therapy”

Back