How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
I like brummels, basically idiot proofing the splice. In my mind 3 is overkill, but I'm not sure of any advantages/ disadvantages

Straight bury is plenty strong, and secure with lock stitching. But why worry about stitches when you can just lock the rope onto itself with a brummel?

Is a butt splice on 3/4 Tenex Tec supposed to take 30 minutes? My first one took a while. I thought my second one would be faster and a little easier. I think it was harder. I almost pulled my vise off of my workbench using a homemade wire fid. . I've been pull my hardest for 30 minutes and finally got it. I was milking and twisting and bunching and massaging the rope the entire time. Are there any tricks to make it a little easier? If not I'll just stick with taping the end.

I don't have a fancy test bed but one bucket drug the other one in the drive way just fine so I'll consider it a success.

Attachments

• 20201010_181712.jpg
    20201010_181712.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20201010_181720.jpg
    20201010_181720.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
Does anyone have any reason that this wouldn't work? I've looked for one but haven't seen one made with Tenex Tec. I wanted it 6 ft but it turned out 5 ft 9 inches. Close enough. I've been needing one for remotely setting like you would a ring and ring friction saver. It has the large ring and the medium ring. The 3/4 Tenex was a little snug fitting it in the medium ring and there's a little bit sticking out around but I don't see any way it can come off. Both rings are pretty snug. Double brummels and a tucked tail that's about a fid and a half long. Then lock stitched. It was kind of a pain getting all the brummels of the first ring through the second rings brummel but set up right I only had to do it once.

Attachments

• 20201010_215347.jpg
    20201010_215347.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201010_215233.jpg
    20201010_215233.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
I'd be a little weird about stressing my gear. Test it with the skidder, cause some internal damage, and *then* it fails doing the work it was intended for. I could be wrong, but it doesn't make me feel good :^/

My guess is you snagged a strand internally on the back splice. It should slide right through, no force needed. I'd pull 1 strand per pair, kinda tapered, top make it easier.

Dead eye looks good, bury is a bit lumpy though. Work it a little to make it a nice smooth taper.

Rig and ring looks good too. I probably would have done a full crossover bury, to keep the diameter consistent. Plenty strong your way

I'd be a little weird about stressing my gear. Test it with the skidder, cause some internal damage, and *then* it fails doing the work it was intended for. I could be wrong, but it doesn't make me feel good :^/

I wasn't going to use it after trying to break it. I just want to see what it can handle since I'm new to splicing and haven't made anything like this before. It would just be a test piece so I trust my work a little more.

Yeah, tails pass each other at center. Tapered to be 1 consistent diameter, ends of tails end up maybe 1 fid on the opposite side of splice

Thanks. I'll try that next time. Sounds like that will take a little measuring and planning. I just made another sling. Didn't want to take a chance on distorting the rings. Made 2 brummels and a bury on one end and just a straight bury on the other end. Pulled with the tractor and it held. Pulled with the skidder and it held. Kinda fuzzed the fibers a little where it went through the clevis. About like you'd expect. It was a straight pull. Using them in a basket configuration the strength will be doubled.

Thanks for putting up with me while I'm trying to figure this out. I welcome any criticism or advice. I'm trying to get better. I never would have started trying to figure this out without everyone's help.

Making the same slow journey into splicing too, y’all are quite helpful :)
Call me crazy, but I’m fixin to make me a new lanyard out of 3/8” Stable Braid. In the never ending quest for good performing static climbing lines, I’ve considered climbing on that shit too. The very thought makes my hands hurt, but that ain’t stop me from thinking bout it anyways.

That looks sweet. 40'x3/8", how will you be using it? I'm guessing as a second tie in? I've never used 3/8" to hang on, that would be different!

Should be good to go. I believe the 3/8” Stable Braid goes around 5600 lb tensile. Plenty strong and suitable. Let us know how it goes, I’m probably using 8mm or 5/16” hitch cord.

I climbed on a 10mm ocean poly lanyard for years. On a tachyon 11.5 right now and kinda hate it. 10mm with a diestel in ocean Vectran, tended by a #1 brass snap is my favorite lanyard setup yet!

This was made for a throwing hook I haven't gotten around to buying yet, maybe soon...

I've got a 10mm Armor Prus lanyard I spliced up running in a cinch that I love. Currently using a a 10mm Teufelberger Sirius lanyard as its a bit longer.

Thin lanyards for the win.

Back