How'd it go today?

I'd look for another job, or at least keep your feelers out. Doing stuff you don't agree with will get to you after awhile.

line clearance = eminent domain

it's not "arborist" work, it's line clearance.

If you can't harden yourself to leave a wake of sobbing homeowners within the first few hundred miles, I suggest looking for something else.

The clearance distance is in the contract and usually the law. Not clear = no payment. Any discrepancies are usually the decision of the presiding Forester. Have you talked to them about removing certain trees (in ROW) you don't believe will survive instead of trimming?

PS Getting shot at or threatened with weapons is a surprisingly regular part of line clearance in my experience, as is harassment by police who don't care for the trimming style in their area.

I was never happier than when I got out of it and went residential on my own....

Last edited:
With 75’ of clearance, 6’ off still yields 69’ of clearance.

The last time our lines were trimmed (distribution), they only got 10’-12’ in a lot of places. If the Jaraff can’t reach it, they don’t bother. Thus, our power goes off every time the wind gives a big gust.

Back when I worked for Asplundh, we got the full 15’ except in yards. These latest yahoos didn’t get 15’ anywhere.

Picked up groceries this morning. Happy day! Found everything I went for plus a few items I figured they wouldn't have, but I wanted. Wore my mask, as did the other shoppers & cashiers. It's nice shopping with only two or three other customers in the building!

Ordered 10 lbs of Buckwheat Pancake mix out of NC. :)

Rest of the day I'll be working on the awesome fiddle stuff from my lesson last night. I feel pretty lucky to have found a guy who is not only a highly sought after studio musician (and National Grand Champion), but a superb teacher also. It's a fairly rare combination. I've taken 3 workshops & two lessons with him so far and am kind of awed at what I've learned in just that short time.

Have a safe & happy day all...8)

Last edited:
So an update. I talked to my gf. I told him about my concerns. They are going to take care of the people problems. I love my crew, so I'm going do it to the very best of my ability. I got you guys. The first day is going to be used to adjust my attitude about it. Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input.

Yep, it is what it is. Just cut to the bosses specs. If there's a question...ask it. If you get trouble from HO refer them to your GF or whoever is in charge at the time.

Best of luck on the adjustment. Keep in mind how many people are depending on the power that goes through those lines and it helps a little bit when you end up completely siding a tree.

Last edited:
@Fiddler. I know it's going to mess with me, but I feel first my family, second my crew, and so on are depending on me getting over my personal "feelings". 🎙 " It was nothing more then feelings." 🎶🎼 hahaha! Thanks

Did a lot of driving around and bidding jobs again. Got to drop a Fraser fir for the C crew. Nothing to tough. Set a line and have them pull, wedges for back up. 47 minutes later they had it cleaned up and were looking for another job to go to. The B crew pissed me off 12 hours on a job bid for 8 for the C crew. I’m pretty sure I’ll get the excuses tomorrow morning. The foreman is mad at me because I made them put plywood down instead of using the neighbors 6 month old concrete drive way. Also because he was scolded for dripping a log on and breaking a sidewalk the day before.
At least I get to work tomorrow. We’ve got a big storm damaged beech to remove. Multiple guy lines to install and a a lot of rigging to do. I might even get to break in the new saddle. Gonna be a stretch for the elevator.

Rich, my brother...I hope to hell at the end of the day that you feel properly compensated, both monetarily and respect-wise, by your outfit. You obviously to us outside observers bring so much to the table, it's hard to imagine that any corporate structure could really understand the value you add to their company's bottom line.

Crane job went well last weekend took about 1.5hrs for the first tree and then about a hr or so for the next one. Had the crane on site for 3.5-4hrs which made life easier as the second job of pruning 2 keepers was over the neighbours roof. Just need to find time to edit the footage and then it will be ready to publish. Pruning the head out of a half dead eucalyptus nicholi tomorrow cause the owner wants to retain it.

That's where kids come from. They're a byproduct of grain production. You usually get a couple after harvesting the grain, and they save them til they get a truckload. They then get sent to a distribution center, and orders get filled from maternity wards around the country.

Thanks.
Being a childless city boy, I knew nothing of that.

Actually, I was wondering what they were harvesting this time of the year.

Safflower Stig.

When the storm got us last fall we had to leave this stuff all winter. We tried at different times to cut.....but it never dried out.

Then, our "LandLords" took the land from us......so we had to get the crop off or else.

We got the crop....finally!

Getting on with the carport.
Those beams are 3” by 9” and are 4ft apart, hired man says that’s too much (should slip another beam between each one) if we’re tiling the roof. We will be running batons across them obvs.

Thoughts from the experts? 808A6113-0EEF-4158-879D-99E48000C51A.jpeg 808A6113-0EEF-4158-879D-99E48000C51A.jpeg B8F2B9F4-B0C6-4562-B306-118EA796D637.jpeg

Back