How'd it go today?

Sounds good, 09, Id love to see some of those techniques in action.

Flush, are those clips just for carrying/attaching or do they have to do with throwing or setting or something, thanks

Oh i can definitely assure you that someone else far brighter than I figured them out. I simply copy what smarter and better people do!!!!

Normal stuff today. Pretty easy. I found a 20' ladder at the office I'm pretty excited about. That'll make a good rail to mill that oak. Only problem is it's about 2' too short. I want to make 21' boards, so a 22' ladder would be better. Still considering options. the 20' will get me my trailer boards, but I wanted to make boards for the barn also, and they're 10.25'±. A 21' board would get me two barn boards with enough to trim off. I may nail 2x4s to the top of the log, and slide the ladder along those, but that adds complexity. Setup is the worst part of chainsaw milling. Seems like I always have to rig something to get what I need.

Sounds good, 09, Id love to see some of those techniques in action.

Flush, are those clips just for carrying/attaching or do they have to do with throwing or setting or something, thanks
The top one is for clipping to the saddle/harness and the other holds the bag secure so it won't deploy on it's own and can be clipped and unclipped one handed. Compact package about palm sized.

Climbed the rottenest tree I have ever done, an old Euc...been topped previously, full of borers, lots of old branch tearouts, big rotten stubs...
It still has sentimental reasons to stay for the HO, and there are no targets below. Veggie garden is just out of range.
Was climbing on epicormics...pretty good ones but still. Its not pretty, but its now 'safer'.
I have decided to describe it as a 'veteran habitat tree, undergoing managed decline'...Geeze I was glad to be finished with that one yesterday.

Made my mother a purse for her birthday tomorrow.

Got a nice side for a good price in Billings.

Hope she likes it.

vyjOzlY.jpg

Climbed the rottenest tree I have ever done, an old Euc...been topped previously, full of borers, lots of old branch tearouts, big rotten stubs...
It still has sentimental reasons to stay for the HO, and there are no targets below. Veggie garden is just out of range.
Was climbing on epicormics...pretty good ones but still. Its not pretty, but its now 'safer'.
I have decided to describe it as a 'veteran habitat tree, undergoing managed decline'...Geeze I was glad to be finished with that one yesterday.
My dear friend Fi. I know that you, more than many climbers, are watchful on these sketchy trees. So I don't feel the need to warn you off like I do from time to time with our more testosterone handicapped fellows...:D. Even so...be ever careful, ma'am. We need you healthy and hale for many a year to come.

Nice, Jim!

Wow that is a lot of leather there on the table. In these parts, IME, that would cost a bundle, can you get it cheaper being part of the source?

Wow Jim, that is nice. Holy smoke child, I would buy one from you. I mean, perfect size, perfect strap length, just beautiful! Love, love love! Your mama is going to love it!!

Happy Birthday to her from me as well!

Here comes Jim's Etsy shop, half joking, half serious. Good work, Jim. Great present, made with love.

Burnham, testosterone handicapped? Really?

I thought it was testosterone poisoning!

Well, whatever you want to call it, I sure miss it. Clarity in thinking loses some of its shine when you realize your only half as strong as you used to be.

Er, ah, facts.

Dave, you're still 1/2 as strong?? You're ahead of the game, mate!

Well sir, that is awesome!! :drink:

I dig that he keeps himself in great shape using all that homemade equipment

Well they do say that weight bearing exercise is the shnizzle for keeping old folks in good nick...

So I should put back on those 20+ pounds of flab I so diligently took off after the hip replacement??? Haul that blubber around for my good health????
:D

I should maybe put this in "the weather" thread, but here goes.

Last year was the wettest ever recorded.
January 2020 was the wettest ever recorded.
February broke the record 2 weeks in.
The whole country is under water.

The State Forests have kicked all machinery out.
So no more work for the feller buncher.
Yesterday we got a call from our State forester, they are shutting loggin down next week.
They have 1000s and 1000s of cubic meters down and can't get them out.

That is 3 months of work just gone..............................................Poof!
We are not on a contract for this, so nothing I can do about it.

So we are, basically, frigged!

Right now, I think the companionship we entered with the forestry COOP is the only thing that is going to be keeping us afloat.

Dire straits, indeed.

Blimey, things change quick Stig!

I got a call today from a cat owner, been up a tree three days, can I help?
I get there and he’s 40ft up a 60ft spindly spruce, IME cat rescues are all about preparation, so I took his box and a bit of food.
I spiked up to him and he crept further and further up, at one point when he hesitated I had a chance to grab him, but the risk of him wriggling free and hitting the deck was too great. So in the end he was too far up for me to reach safely so I came down.
We talked about the options and I said that if they got some friends with a sheet I could shake him free and they could catch him.
Anyway I got a call later, apparently I had somehow shook him from his mental torpor and he had plucked up the wherewithal to come down on his own.

100% cat survival in my career so far!

Back