How'd it go today?

Cool view Jed. I'd have to climb 3 trees to get to that elevation.

I've been building scaffolds this week as opposed to being groundman for less experienced guys, and for once I went thru a day without thinking how much I hate my job. We were in a hot compressor hall with the loudest turbine on site screaming thru our earplugs but I was just happy doing my own thing. I'm kinda sick of mentoring to be honest. Really green guys struggle to retain anything and the intermediate guys learn the basics and act like they invented the trade.

I can't wait to do some treework this year but it's gonna be a bit yet. High of -2c today with a high of -22c tomorrow. It'll be months yet before people start looking at their trees around here.:(

I spent a lot of time trying to teach people how to survey. There was exactly two that were worth a shit. The rest topped out at mediocre, and some made me just want to step in front of a car and end it all. You wonder how they found their way out of the house in the morning. You have my sympathy Ryan.

Nice view up there Jed. Some kind of pine?
That's a nasty little Cottonwood, brother.

Corey/Sean: So I get back to the shop tonight, and Devon Maxon comes running up to me: "Did you hear what happened to Warrick?"

"No."... "You know that job, where Tyson just fell 67 feet."... "Yeah."... "Well osha finally let us go back to finish, and Warrick was pushing a Maple stem for me while I cut, and a dead limb broke out, and stove-piped through his Pfanner Protos, and smashed into his scalp. It busted up his teeth, and he had to get his scalp stapled up." Me: 😔

I spent a lot of time trying to teach people how to survey. There was exactly two that were worth a shit. The rest topped out at mediocre, and some made me just want to step in front of a car and end it all.

:lol::lol:

Geezus, Jed!!

Deadwooded and devined four oaks, removed a cherry, tall skinny 85'er, and removed a oak also 85-90'er over a small skinny hickory and house, all forest trees not much spread.

More of the same tomorrow and the day after. Yep busy busy. But still dehydrated form being sick and cramped up pretty good by 3 pm.

Tall, skinny's will take it out of ya for sure, Rajan. Don't go too hard when yer on the mend.

Ixskllr: Ya, I'll try to grab a pic of the helmet tomorrow... actually, I think Warrick's slated to come back thurs. or fri. so maybe then.

no wallet in the back pocket... How could that possibly help,
The wallet in the back pocket is just along of the sciatic nerve. There is some cushion, but with a permanent pressure, like when sitting, the nerve is disrupted. Even if we don't notice it, the nervous system in the area does. So he tries to reduce the trouble by adjusting the contraction of the different muscles and the position.
So you get a body out of alignement and out of balance (slightly but still), the muscles have to contract more to manage the disequilibrium. That put even more strain on the vertebrae. Then, the slightest unexpected/unusual effort (like pushing a recalcitrent tree, pick a twigg on the ground or just coughing) overloads them and triggers a catastrophic contraction by the induced pain.
You have absolutely no time nor no way to react. It's purely reflex in the short circuitry and the brain is the last to be aware of the problem.
It's the lumbago crisis.
I got that fully once, and that's exactly what Lxskllr describes, with the pain waves and all that. It's so painfull that you feel like dropping on the floor, but you can't because you know very well that it would be even more disastrous.

Lxskllr, the solution is to relax and calm down the area. The therapist can do nothing because he can't touch you.
The way to go for such a crisis is an injection of both a strong muscle relaxant and a (real) anti-inflamatory, then the same in pills to finish the job.
Some heat helps to relax.
Look very carefully of how you stay and you move. Always slow and deliberate, think of the leverage when you sit, lay or stand up, help your back with your arms, fold the legs instead of the back. Avoid absolutely all the unexpected movments, just hitting slightly a door knob can put you back in the crisis and makes you lose all the progress in the healling (I did that) .

Good courage.

Glad the renegosh went well. Seems like that is unusual, can you give more detail?

Boss went to the stream restoration job with me since my back was messed up. I tried to give him a hardhat before we left the office, and he said he didn't want one. Get to the site, I tell him I have a vest he can use. Doesn't want that. He goes off to give me a backsight, and the foreman comes up and tells me he needs to have a hat and vest cause their insurance company is coming out today. He had to borrow a noobie blue hat from the company, and put on one of my spare vests. Retard... :^D

He got to play in the mud today, and see what a real job looks like, and I didn't kill my back. Bonus was it was his turn to buy lunch, so we went to the sushi place. Decent day. Only problem is my back is just good enough to forget, but if I get excited and turn wrong, it lets me know real quick not to do that. Hoping it'll be at least 80% by this weekend. Looks like it'll be a good one for dropping trees.

edit:
Currently sitting in front of the stove, burning some spruce I dropped this past fall. Just a little chill in the house, and that's a good use for it. I'll save my good wood for colder weather.

Last edited:
Looks nasty Jed.

I had an easy day mowing down brush. The guys finished clearing along the road and started next to the river. Had to load up and move the mower to the south side of the project at lunch time. Didn’t think the city would be happy if I tracked it a mile down the road
5710C158-5F1A-4879-90F1-62CEF4990B50.jpeg

Removals are hanging right along. Alturnamats are nice.
One dead 80' pine to climb tomorrow. Lombardi poplar right next to it for a TIP, just because I can... Apta will help.

Looked at a job and the end of the day. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Back