How'd it go today?

First Snow

P1280066.jpg
Got our first snow of the year -- started around noon and got wetter & wetter with moist wet snow. Now starting to accumulate, supposed to get 1-3". Did a small brush chipping job, then a 3 pin oak pruning (crown raising, lower deadwood, light thinning). Then a pine removal with more brush chipping on the side.

Finished the day with some stump grinder maintenance (disassembly). Lower cutting wheel Link-Belt bearings went on it as well as the belt, so we're in for another $400 in parts. Picking them up this evening, will install in the morning, then go grinding tomorrow on a 4' mulberry and a 36" red oak stump. Maybe we'll leave a snowman where the stump was!

Put down 20 Small to medium trees in an HOA greenbelt/ trail area. One was split at ground level, cabled at 30', 30 years ago, but 90-100' tall.

Had to pull the back- leaving trunk, with the front- leaning trunk set up in a bored-back-cut and back strap.

Reminds me, gotta check with WesSpur and find out where our Cobra cable is. Ordered it over a month ago, must be back-ordered. It'll be our first cable installation in quite awhile, since very few customers in the area choose to go with a cabling & bracing solution.

More wildfires here. Sonoma county under a thick heavy blanket of smoke. The town of paradise wiped out in Butte county.
Greg liu has been evacuated.

Amazing how we can't get a handle on those fires. Hell, we can't handle hurricanes - I guess there's no way.

My house would be surrounded by concrete if I lived in an area that was fire-prone.

Stump grinding maintenance kind of went south today. Seized on shaft with the bearings, flywheel crumbled, sheared off bolt, etc. Mostly back together, but will have to wait on a new flywheel for Monday. Meanwhile, picked up some metal for the gate we are building for our lot's main entry. Then went and looked at a work-in-trade job in the country -- dropping 8 trees (4 hackberry, 4 cedar) in exchange for a wood burning furnace + double wall vent stack. That will heat our shop nicely, in exchange for a an afternoon's dropping (he'll haul them to the brush pile with a tractor).

Goddamn that's frightening Frans.
Mother Nature can be a cold hearted bitch to fight. Hope Greg has the best outcome he can hope for, as well as all the vineyards.

Tomorrow is day three of the TCIA Expo.
Saw the PNW contingent on Day 1.
This evening had a blast with four climbers from Japan.
Traded one of them my T-shirt for his.
And one fellow lives in the next town over from Jay!!
He took the info I had and will check on him for us.

8CDE45C7-F01E-4DBF-8D51-6EC009D2423D.jpg

3BA43578-94DE-45D2-B288-F189B406F46C.jpg

about to start Hell week....next five of seven nights......2 on, one off, one on, one off, two on. Damn, why can't I have a run in a row. Don't want to flip sleep pattern on days off......guess some night hikes will be in order as nothing is open around here except walmart and the waffle house.

I'll bet whoever dreamed up that schedule didn't have to work it!

John, you have access to hydraulic equipment for test breaking carabiners?

Back