How'd it go today?

I just found it Cory! Love FMJ!

Ran into the gunsmith today at the parts house. Told me to stop by.

He built me a .25-06 improved. Blue printed 700 action, HS stock, wide Timney trigger at one pound, 26 inch no.5 Lilja stainless barrel, Talley one piece bases which he lapped, and a Bushnell tactical scope.

Its beautiful. .75 at 200 yards beautiful. I did not have my ccp with me so I will pick it up tomorrow.

All he wants is his cost. Good trade for letting him hunt.

That's awesome Jim. Lot of numbers I don't understand, but it sounds cool. I've always just been around guns. Never really owned to many. By what you posted I'm guessing high power and long range.

I spent the day dead wooding white oaks. After nothing but takedowns for as long as I can remember, I can say that pruning is much more tiring. I kept trying to bury my gaffs. Problem was, I didn't have them. Damn am I out of shape. You guys that specialize in pruning are bad ass.

Went out to look at a couple hazard trees on a golf course and ended up interviewing for a course maintenance position...I start my new job on May 1st.:)

I think I'll last a lot more years running tractors, mowers, and ball washers (plus a bit of tree trimming) than I will climbing, so it's probably a good move at a good time in life. I think I can live with free golf as a bonus too...8)

Its worth getting the guy's eyes checked, August. Maybe spring for prescription safety glasses. My guy wear glasses, and wears 'safety over-glasses'.

My policy is that the passenger should prepare to get out of the truck before arrival, and get out immediately at arrival, with helmet comms on and connected. The passenger should get out everytime. He's getting paid to be working.

I was backing in once with a ladder at the saw shop parking lot. Groundie didn't get out. I didn't want to bitch at him that we've trained on it, and the passenger is not supposed to wait for an invitation to get out and get to work. $600 neon sign later gives me a training anecdote. $600 out of my wallet, and the groundie saved walking 20'. Doing the math, I think that is $30/ step. Maybe an astronaut's rate.

Also, its always the driver's responsibility to be sure the truck is clear to move, before moving. If there is no driver when the truck is being moved, you're in deep poop. Otherwise, there is a driver EVERY time. Its sure easier to avoid damage than fix it.

Went out to look at a couple hazard trees on a golf course and ended up interviewing for a course maintenance position...I start my new job on May 1st.:)

I think I'll last a lot more years running tractors, mowers, and ball washers (plus a bit of tree trimming) than I will climbing, so it's probably a good move at a good time in life. I think I can live with free golf as a bonus too...8)

That's fantastic. You're musical fingers will thank you, too.

Do you know about those $11 hulk-gloves, anti-vibe? http://www.galeton.com/hulk-anti-vi...OUs52UWox5ESdGAdGzI4yAS4KDd_o0HKGgaAqPq8P8HAQ

:thumbup:

You know that its cumulative, though. Maybe that level of equipment has anti-vibe built in, but its cheap insurance. You don't want to have nerve damage. My recollection was a lot of vibrations in smaller machines, and with lots of bucking. Holding harder means more vibration transfer, I'd assume.

Machines are tractors or large, modern commercial mowers. Chainsaw has far more vibration, even with the dampening.

I have the most hand trouble from gripping ropes (no vibe) or saws too long too tightly. Nerves are fine in my hands...muscle/tendon issues are usually more of a concern.

Congrats on the job Dave!

Quiet today, some customers in the motor shop, some service on the saws and stump grinder. Picked up two small loads of wood from a couple jobs, got some synthetic fuel and a nice plant for the girlfriend's birthday today. Arrived back at the shop, a package with a set of stump grinding teeth from Vermeer Brampton was waiting for me. I didn't make an order, no idea what's going on. No paperwork with it. Have two quotes to give just 5 minutes from my place, then to go get a cake for the girlfriend.

Oh, I sent those to you Peter. No need to thank me. An anonymous gift. ;)

My ornithologist/ bird friend went to pitch his raptor boxes for sale to a large orchard corporation... rodents in orchards require eradication, mostly with poison. Now he manages an 800 acre orchard in southern Washington. Funny how opportunities pop up.

Does he use raptors to control rodents? That is a great concept...better than poison.

Cool that he went from pitching raptors to owning an orchard. 800 acres is BIG...my Grandaddy had a 500 acre farm and I thought it was the Ponderosa (until I met our FFZ, Jim, Captain Jim here).

I managed an apple orchard in Northern California for a time. Pita. The Mexicans were always getting drunk and beating up their women, and the women wanted to hide out at my house or have me drive them into town to escape. Sometimes there were five or six there at my house at a time, and man did they like to wear that heavy scented perfume. If I hired the hippies to pick, lord praise the days that they even showed up, and if they did, they brought all their naked breasted mamas and completely untrained dogs to run around uncontrolled to accompany. I just wanted someone to work, normally you'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask. :lol:

Geez Jay!

Good nrews Fidd!

I do some tree work at a course, its beautiful, I think it is a nice job.

A day of chipping and clean-up from an orchard restoration of old, previously topped trees, and from a big fir prune.

Going to the Bainbridge Island Master's Challenge climbing comp, across the Puget Sound from Seattle. Its a team event. One of the Ascending the Giants guys is on my team, and two Canadians coming from BC, picked at random. Should be interesting. Privately organized comp. 5th year running.

Anyone going to the comp in green lane PA? It's 10 minutes from my house so my buddy and I signed up. It'll be my first comp. I assume I'll do horrible due to working 7 days a week. Not worried though. It'll be fun. June 4th and 5th

That is cool, Page.

I predict you will love it and get a ton of good, new ideas. I've never been in a comp but watched a few and there is always a good vibe there.

Back