How'd it go today?

Today was a relaxed day. Woke up, did the laundry and spent majority of day on the tree house forum waiting for responses. Tomorrow will be the start of my work week. Excited to learn more climbing.

Well, it was a wild ass guess.

We are supposed to have turkeys up here, but I have yet to see one.

I saw my first wild turkey at Mt. Rushmore. Damn near drove off the road trying to take a picture before they ran out of sight. We have lots here in W NY now. Good to have them, because the pheasants we used to have so many of are just about non-existent.

Going to be a preschool day, possibly followed by a play date. The start of the weekend!!

Our school was in a low spot on various fronts. Our enrollment was way, way low, in part due to fundraising requirement and interpersonal conflicts.

The root disease in the forest took a lot of mental space from the Board of Directors' meetings (aka the most involved families), and finished JUST in time for this fall's classes to start, delayed by a month-early burn-ban, so I chipped a lot that would have been burned,

we kicked out fundraising to the curb and raised tuition, removing a huge, and not very productive fundraiser effort ($7k, but lots and lots of hours, disproportionately on the most active families, with a lot of family money going into the auction sometimes bidding on stuff we wouldn't have otherwise),
new roof,
located and found the septic tanks were full and black (non functioning, no more bleach or anti-bacterial soap!!) and effectively were like holding tanks (the school is mostly unoccupied-- one load of dishes 3 times a week, and lots of hand washing),
total playground rebuild,
new fence,
new gravel in the parking lot/ driveway,
heavy duty cleaning,
etc.

Our open house on Saturday for prospective families had a huge turn out. Two classes are full, with Wait Lists, and the third is 60% full, with 5 months to find 4 kids, for maximum enrollment! Full classes means full tuition and the most families to make all the same amount of work be spread among more hands.

We have a plan to help a kid who 'acts out', taking away focused/ functional class time from the rest of the kids, make it through the rest of the year better. He's not enrolled for next year. His older sister was also a distraction, every class, last year. Part of the reason for families dropping out/ not coming back.

So we are rolling full steam ahead, with a kick ass facility, strong enrollment, and a better structure on many fronts.

Gotta get D up for the first day after Daylight Savings Time. Her body says its 45 more minutes of sleep time, but the clock says we're already 15 minutes behind. I'll just give her some coffee.:lol:

A neighbor had one roosting on his roof for awhile last winter. After an all nite snow, the bird would be completely covered in snow, just perched there, unmoving. Then, with warming temps in the AM he would shake it off and fly away.

Thats what I hear Cody. Ranchers that I have talked too hate the damn things. They can take a stack of grain hay and ruin it in a day.

Geeze, Ray. We got lotsa trees in the valley.

Our river here used to dry up every year. During that time there were no trees at all up here. About a 100 years ago they built a diversion out of Canada and now our river flows all year.

Once that happened the Cotton woods, Russian Olive, and the Willows moved in.

Still no trees out here, except next to a spring or something. I guess thats what you get with only 10 or 11 inches of precip a year.

Spent the morning with my Lil boy and my dog, I'm not sure which one fetches better lol. Then off to put some bids together for a couple jobs. It'd be nice to break my dry spell on the work front

I've been in trees one way or another for too long to quit now. Just been thinking lately about a third shift job as well or maybe something part time. Just to help during the slow times

If you don't mind me asking Did you actually hang up your saddle for good butch? Or are you just building up the energy for another go round

The phone will ring. Making stuff out of tree parts is a good idea if you have the creative streak and a way to market it, I'd think. I keep wanting to find some free time to do that.

Someone else providing some predictable income is not a bad idea.

Diversify one way or another.

Took the family to a snow maze today here in Thompson , pretty cool and everybody eventually found their way out. Somebody was awfully talented on a skid steer to build it.

20160313_114618-1.jpg 20160313_114506.jpg

Back