How'd it go today?

Today went ok. Still working on grinding monster sweetgum stump that has rebar, and rocks, and more rebar in it. Can honestly say this is the worst I've ever screwed up a bid. Definitely losing some serious cash on this stump. Thankfully the removal went smooth and quick. The stump....definitely not smooth and quick. Quite the opposite.

Flopped over a few backleaning big blue spruces. Pretty standard. Threw a line on one and yanked over with the mini. Set the dogs (or whatever you wanna call those spike things on the push bar of the bmg) as high as possible and pushed one over. 5:1 on the other. City dump only a mile away and the client paying the dump bill, so save the wear and tear on the chipper and stacked the debris high on the dump trailer. Easy enough.

Then... relative disagreement with clients property manager regarding rd clearance/canopy raise. Standard "just take that big limb off so we wont have to deal with it for a couple years" b.s. Had to pull out the "why did you hire me? card". They say hired due to credentials and knowledge. Had to retort, "then let me make the decisions and do my job". If only I could find a way to be self employed, use my limited skill set, and not have to deal with morons....

Tomorrow looking like some propiconazole injections on 2 sycamores for anthracnose, 1 huge gorgeous oak propiconazole injection for oak wilt preventative measures, 4 cables (3 static, 1 dynamic), finish monster sweetgum stump, and clearance/canopy raises on several maples and sweetgums. Hope it goes well!!!

Hope ya'll are well and relaxing after a good day.

Whining about smoking, allow me. People that smoke are either idiots or uneducated as to what can be the implications. You guys probably wouldn't believe some of the things that I have recently seen going on with a terminally ill cancer patient while sitting at their bedside day and night in the hospital. A non smoker but still they got it. It can be really horrible when that disease starts to eat you up inside, both physical and mental, things that can make a long experienced nurse show freak on her face. A point where there is nothing that can be done about it, and the implications for family can be severe as well. If someone wants to invite the beast in with cigarettes, I think they should be able to do as they wish, but lighting up around others that might be exposed to the smoke, is completely unacceptable. It's a disgusting and inconsiderate habit to do out in public, no ifs ands or buts. Anyone wondering and wanting to know the gore that cancer can bring, I can tell you in detail.

Like young gang members that take a tour through jails to possibly change their ways, smokers should take a trip through a pain control ward full of seriously ill cancer patients. A lot of people are already susceptible to sickness through genetics or eating habits, whatever, without smoking, add it and it can tip the scale. You could also be in one of those beds, probably whining about smoking. Smokers aren't deserving of understanding.

Great pic of a hella tree!!

Ok, Jed, why do you hate cutting fw after its hit the dirt?

Tomorrow looking like some propiconazole injections on 2 sycamores for anthracnose, 1 huge gorgeous oak propiconazole injection for oak wilt preventative measures, 4 cables (3 static, 1 dynamic), finish monster sweetgum stump, and clearance/canopy raises on several maples and sweetgums. Hope it goes well!!!

That sounds like a lot for one day. Of course tree men in general tend to be blessed with a lot of energy imo.

Jed, not only is that tree huge, it just looks like it is growing fast, too.:drink:

Some more of the spar .... day two...............................................................................................................................................102F
Poor Mike... the things I make him do... That is the 066 up there with a 36 bar. Got wood?
THAT would make me a crybaby! I bet his doggies were barking when he finally got down

Jed, not only is that tree huge, it just looks like it is growing fast, too.:drink:

The Doug Fir bark up here tends to get mud (sediment) pounded into it. We try to chip off the bark with my stupid axe to save the chain, but it's usually a fail. People (arbs) round-file up here out of necessity. Guys just laugh at my precious square-filing nonsense... they're like, "We'll see how long that's gonna last.:lol:"

Oh yes, that pig's growing plenty fast. Most Sequoia's up here have AVERAGE growth-rings of about 3/4"!

Jay... Man, I was just on a rant. (Like you couldn't tell.) I'm just currently a bit sick of our North American Safety First culture at present. Anyone would think that the greatest thing in life would be to die what Stig calls, "The Straw Death." As if going out in a nursing home with diapers on is our highest possible good.

That sounds like a lot for one day. Of course tree men in general tend to be blessed with a lot of energy imo.

Not sure if I did the quote thing right... Please forgive me. I'm new here :) (obviously don't know how to use the smiley face option thingy either. haha)

Anyhow, yes it is indeed probably a lot for one day. Good thing is, I can hook up the tree iv system and go about my business on another task that's in relatively close proximity (eyesight) while the injections are pulling. Trying to multitask. That big stump is 95% done and we've got the equipment to move the debris accordingly. Could have 2 bucket trucks running for the clearance/raise stuff, and mini feeding chipper, or just stack in dump trailer for a short haul.

Will I actually get it all done? Definitely questionable! Worth a shot! Might be a long day but sure as heck gonna try! This big contract has set us back even further. We're bout 4/5 months out so we're just gonna have to push for long days so we can get back to our other customers. Some of whom are probably beginning to be relatively annoyed with our lack of promptness.

Gonna do our best to knock as much out as possible!

Edit: Whoah... Surprised myself. Both the quote and the smiling face thing appear to have worked. I'm learning i guess! Thanks for putting up with me

Did the big pine I tied up last week, glad to have that done. Jed I failed miserably on decent pics working to get it done before the daily downpours.
One just to let ya know I was there though;)
e3dfb8f63e80291288c1638617fdb22b.jpg

Jed, you know all about cutting dirty stuff with cutting edge protected, eh?

Good post Ianwhite, welcome to TH

But ok, here we go again. HOW ON EARTH do you get custys to wait 4-5 months for tree work. Geez you'd have to add 5% to the price at time of sales call to account for the subsequent growth before you get to the work;)

Stubs and sloppy face cuts, but I did hit (literally) what I was gunning for ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RfRs-60_PtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I started the city fencing project a couple of days ago. The preliminary work is done. The weeds have been cleared and the path between corner posts has been tilled up and leveled. Today I installed my new 12" auger on the PTO post hole digger and gave it workout. The new auger is fantastic. WOW....I drilled 6 holes to a depth of 4' deep in under 20 minutes. The treated 6"x6" posts are in the ground, but nothing has been tamped into place yet. Once the city foreman inspects the location of the posts and gives the go-ahead, I'll be getting real busy on this project. I hope to be done in a week......but.

Joel

Grendel, I like it...good to watch you work. I am envious of your slings...I have a bunch of fugly mongrel slings I cobbled together for my recent speedline.

Nice work. Smooth. Stubs F you time to time on speedlines. How's that Matt Cornell Saddle, if I'm not mistaken?

During the video, I realized that people should, in my opinion, get their mugs in there somewhere.

Thanks Guys, I have a ton of respect for this crowd, all of you, and It's fun to be able to share.

Sean, I'm really liking it. It's super stable on my hips, and rotates like crazy on the rings/suspension, so it has a really smooth range of movement. The first time I tried sitting in it to hook up my SRT stuff I almost rolled over. They need to put a couple good saw snaps on it somewhere, or some caritool slots that orient in the correct direction. Right now I'm hanging the saw off the suspension, and I'd rather have it on the belt, if that makes sense. Still, I love it.

I'm hitting the sack, later guys 8)

Did the big pine I tied up last week, glad to have that done. Jed I failed miserably on decent pics working to get it done before the daily downpours.
One just to let ya know I was there though;)

Ha! Pics or it didn't happen eh? You call THAT failing miserably? Good shot imho. Is your 540 starting to give you fits yet?

FireFighterZero,

I do not own a hydraulic tamper. I think the gas powered post driver will work just fine. I'll put a 2x2 under the driver and get to work.......unless you have a better idea. I'm always looking for suggestions.

I'm sure a bunch of you folks have installed far more fences than I have. I'll be posting a few pictures here as work progresses.

And now for something really irritating to me......I can't figure out how to post a profile picture on this site. I thought I posted one, but it doesn't show up. Any suggestions for this project? LOL

Joel

Do you have a hydraulic tamper Joel?

I have a driver so I dont need a tamper or spud bar, but the hydraulic ones I have used for setting power poles are great. Work good for tamping under the haunches of a culvert too.
Good luck!
That's cheating Jim. Of the thousands of poles we set with the power company, we tamped every one of 'em by hand and I hated every minute of it. Never even heard of a hydraulic tamp.

Back