How'd it go today?

Today went great. Almost finished with the ROW clearing. Last three trees had to be stripped down because of lines, road, and a residence. Leaving. The shop I popped a break line on the Tahoe to keep me from making it home before dark. Looked under there for good solid line to cut and repair and said to hell with it. Gonna have the mechanic do them all and fuel lines don't look heathy either. Last thing I wanna do after working 12-14 hours is wrench on something. I'll hopefully get it back tomorrow and get home in time to can some peppers.

So drove down 2hrs 15 mins to this job with tractor and chipper. Got started, got warmer reached 100 degrees (37 or so) blazing heat continued till 4 ish, then knocked it on the head. Hotel quite good, mozzys waking me up and eating me alive though. Pissed down last night so today will bring its own challenges, but at least it'll only be 77 degrees! Then tomorrow (Wednesday) back up to the high nineties so get as much done today as poss. (Buy some bug spray today for the room)

Finally got my chipper back... Was in the shop for 3 weeks! Older model 150XP, but low hours. Mechanic dragged their feet, was pretty pissed and now way behind... Oh well, back to the grind, better than stacking brush in truck/trailer!

Cranes, as much as I love them, they can eat up a lot of a customer's tree removal budget, so my main man and I, on jobs that we might have gone to crane aided removals before, are trying other ways to get the trees down. An interesting job came up today, one part being an Acacia around some vacation homes and over electric lines. It had lost it's top and mainly had one large limb over the neighbour's roof. No place to flop it. It wasn't a very large tree, around 12" at the base, and being a good bending wood like Acacia, we could pull it away from the neighbours house with an endless line puller before doing any cutting, but still couldn't drop the limb because of the electrics and lots of plants below. Not a good climbing situation either.

We stuck a pulley in a close by adjoining taller tree and ran a line through it and connected below on the Acacia, so the tree was held in place and we could cut it off the stump. Another endless line puller was attached through that pulley in the adjoining tree above, to hold the Acacia upright. Nice thing about the endless cable pullers is that you can back them off very slowly and keep very positive pull. Taking a length off the bottom of the tree, we could slowly lower it, then repeat a few times, and the tree became light enough to turn the limb away from the electric lines, and just keep cutting from the base and lowering. It worked out real well, and in the right circumstances that method seems to offer a potentially usable option. I've never held a cut tree up in the air like that before, and obviously you are limited by the weight your rigging will allow. Pretty interesting, anybody ever do that method to get trees down in confined and delicate areas, lowering the whole thing slowly from above? Praise again to endless line pullers. If you are doing a lot of pulling, they are a very invaluable tool. Seem to be using them on most every job without a crane these days. On this job a GRCS might have worked real well also, haven't got one though.

I've never held a cut tree up in the air like that before, and obviously you are limited by the weight your rigging will allow. Pretty interesting, anybody ever do that method to get trees down in confined and delicate areas, lowering the whole thing slowly from above?
Yes indeed Jay, good thinking. We use that technique a lot with straight smallish pines in tight spots and it works great. Many times instead of the puller, we'll simply catch the line off as high as we can in the target tree with the line through the crotch of an adjacent tree or a floating false crotch, tension it by hand, catch it off on the lowering device and spear cut it. Sometimes it may have to be cut a couple of times before it floats. Quick and easy and your feet never leave the ground.

Same here.
Using the GRCS it is so easy to do and it usually impresses the hell out of homeowners and bystanders, when you cut a tyree up to firewood from the bottom up, while your partner slowly lowers it.

Thanks Jay. Computer stuff's weird... not a very intuitive process. Counter-intuitive in fact. Not for the inbred, perhaps.

Nope. Keep em coming! One of these days we might get a selfie from up high? Put a face to the name yeah? ;)

You guys ever find weird stuff on a roof?

Mostly just raccoon poop. Only stuff I've come across that competes with dogpoop for a nastier smell.

Btw, Jim... I'm the one in the middle playing the double-necked guitar.

Just that all the leaves have turned to sod, and small things are growing in it. Not at all uncommon on vacation homes in the forest here.

Well, due to the odd nature of the universe, the rear main went out of my combine. The dealer said about thirty hours. Shit. I dont have time so I guess I have no choice.

We will use the rest of the time to get the old combine going. It is an 8820 John Deere and is older than me, but still works well. If we can find some of the obsolete parts of course! Goddamn winter wheat is ready. We cut today until I checked oil! Been working on machinery for a week. Broke down in two hours!

Oh, and before any one interested enough to still be reading this post, a new combine with a header is 350-400,000 dollars. Juuuuuuuuuust outta my price range!

Jim, probably a dumb suggestion, but can't you hire someone to combine your wheat this year? Repair when time allows. Guffaws behind your back when you go to the saloon in town?

Oh, yes Jay. Custom harvesting is a big business. With a new combine costing so much it makes sense for some to hire the cutting done.

We just cant afford the 30 to 45 dollars an acre to hire it done. With grain prices in the four dollar range now and the drought we have been in a 20 to thirty bushel crop is going to be a good crop.

It costs about 100-170 dollars an acre to plant a crop, there just is not any money left to hire the cutting. This is a historically hard country to make money in. Some historical records show 9-12 years out of a hundred are considered great years.

I used to custom cut for people, with just my combine I charged 18 dollars. I made good money! Ahh, simpler times.

Back