How'd it go today?

Are you felling that stuff for biomass, Pete?
Odd looking forest, almost lokks like it was coppiced at one time.

Stephen, I'm glad you remembered to make the cuts slanted, so rainwater can run off.:lol:
Not that that should be much of a concern out your way.

Finally got out working again today. I was running around this week doing estimates for this lawn mowing season, and the last 3 weeks were spent working the house we were renting and are now selling, so today was really nice to get out and bust my butt for a profit and get the saws out working for more than just a bit of firewood. Started a big cleanup of overgrown crap, 2 day job, maybe 3, should have some before pics to post tomorrow (they're on my wife's phone). Had a crew of 3 today which is unusual for me, Mom came along as usual, and the magical Mrs came along today and worked her butt off for me. The custy stopped by later in the day and was amazed by our progress, and added more to the original scope (and had no problem with added cost) and volunteered to cover the chipper rental instead of piling the brush where we were originally instructed to. 'Twas a good day indeed, even though cutting brush is a B*t@h, trashed the original chain on my new 355 (less than 4 tanks of fuel on that chain), threw the chain 3 times on my 450, nicked another 355 chain on either rock or concrete, and nicked a 450 chain on old half buried 1/2 inch cable. So after an hour and a half on the bench and the chain grinder, I'm ready to have at it again tomorrow. :D

Damn, Treebilly, rough stretch you are in but keep fighting the good fight!

Are you and Tucker working on the same project, just in different areas? Or 2 unrelated projects, but both involving bat trees.
I'm cutting new pipelines through mtn turf. It's so high pressure at this exact moment its not even funny. We have a short distance to knock out by Monday morning and should get it. Then, Williams pipeline sprung on us 2 silver maples over a road like rainbows where a pipeline crosses there. Gotta go. No if and or butts. HAVE to be down by dark on Monday. They reach over the road to the wires on the other side. Not a huge deal. Get up on top of them and rig the ends back and chunk out the rest. Log truck will be there tossing the material up onto a bank. A few hour task. But enough to entirely screw that whole line until later in the year when cutting can resume. It's not even a line we are on. There's an inbred crew of cutters a few miles from us that are banging out the ends of their lines. None of them can climb.......or fall trees like grow ups. Anyways the chief inspector got on me on Friday that I HAD to go whack those two trees on Monday. I told him lets get the paperwork started for billing purposes. He asked how much. I said $3500 just to wreck them. Well he nearly fainted and assured me it wouldn't get approved. I politely assured him I didn't really care if they got taken down. I firmed up with him a bit and explained that I wasn't one of the supervisors that failed to address those two trees earlier on. I also explained I'm going in blind and regardless of the challenges, I will turn those trees into stumps by the deadline. I also explained that on a 12 million dollar pipeline clearing and grubbing job, I wasn't going to entertain putting myself under the gun to make it happen unless I was compensated rather heavily. He cursed and screamed through the phone to the supervisor that neglected to handle this sooner but got off the phone and shrugged and said "$3500 it is then. Men in high positions will lose jobs if two trees stall the 2015 completion of this rather extensive and necessary lane.

I'm not bending one inch for the gas industry. The industry is a gold mine and spends a whole lot more then $3500 bucks on much less critical shit. They put my back against the wall and I'm heading in blind. Well ill also be heading out with $3500 bucks under the guarantee I will ensure that entirely line doesn't sit all spring summer and fall because of two trees.

Good work, Chris.
When you have them over a barrel, don't let them up.

I frigging love it!!!

attachment.php

Can't wait to see it in ten years! :beer:

That thing is so ugly it's beautiful!

Supply and demand Chris. They got a deadline and need it done so they'll pay good to do it. Probably wouldn't get that at the beginning of the job. All "bat" trees are done for us unless some email got sent in overnight to the boss.

I can't believe some of the prices I'm seeing on CAT engines lately, Jim. Can you stuff an N14 or maybe an ISX in there?:/:

Sheeeit, I would be satisfied with a NTC-400!

Dad thinks he found an aftermarket in frame kit for 2800, which is really cheap. I think it might be for a marine application so I am not sure if it will be the same or not. Each cylinder pack from Cat is $580, so six of those would be a bunch more. Then add an upper gasket set for 550, then a pan gasket for 100. Not to mention the mains are 50 bucks a piece, then the thrusts are 30. If the head is bad they will kindly sell a re man for 2700. I really dont mind aftermarket stuff, we used to get better 855 kits from the aftermarket than from Cummins. Some Cummins kits had a mix of three and four ring pistons.

Factory Cat engine kits use re man pistons. I am not sold on those. We used to see a cracked one once in a while, usually right under the steel plug in the crown of pistons for pre cup engines.

If the aftermarket kit does not happen, the Cat dealer said it would just fix the "bad" hole.

Back