How'd it go today?

For some people, work and play end up blending together. Work serves to both provide for them and keep them happy all at once. I was that way for the first 5 years in business and it died within me. Camping with my family blows away spending all weekend washing trucks and going over every piece of gear in eager anticipation of attacking on Monday.

That does't seem bad at all, Chris, that your period in apprenticeship inspired you to priority bust A when it was your time to run your own show. I think that's how it is supposed to be when things have gone right.

For some people, work and play end up blending together. Work serves to both provide for them and keep them happy all at once. I was that way for the first 5 years in business and it died within me. Camping with my family blows away spending all weekend washing trucks and going over every piece of gear in eager anticipation of attacking on Monday.

Yup, good answer. Though you might be surprised who kicks back into 24/7 mode after your kids have grown and moved out...;)

Thanks for sharing Chris.

I gather you're KISS about things, to an extent.

Have you tried the comm units? Priceless.

Yesterday I lost a big maple to over backwards on a lot clearing job. Will knew right away, and was getting extra clear, immediately. It 'transplanted' 3 feet deep, coming down butt first, as the top dragged against a hemlock crown, and oriented butt- down.

My comm unit for the crane op paid for itself the first day, at least once. Next time I was in his shop, to return a left behind binder, he handed me his credit card, made space at his computer and clogged up desk, and told me to get him three coming his way. He's very old school, 67 y.o., fwiw.

Sean, I've not tried them but plan on buying a set this year. Am I a KISS tree guy? Yes and no. There's some applications where I am as KISS as I can possibly be, and other situations where I take what might be an overly complex approach to certain challenges. My comfort level sways that. When I don't feel right or completely confident about certain challenges, I tend to make them complex in the process of eliminating variables. If it feels good and run of the mill to me, I do all I can to make it as simple as I can reasonably get away with.

I want the comm units to eliminate the yelling over equipment from the tree to the ground. Waving my arms in a tree trying to get someone's attention at the chipper, so they can throttle down, take off their earmuffs, and acknowledge me, just so I can say "tie on my water", has grown old. Plus there's been more then one occasion where the sun is above me and groundmen have to stare into the sun to look at me and communicate. They can't see me pointing out a sequence of events in the tree so we can be on the same page. With the comm units I can calmly explain in detail anything I want without yelling over an idling machine so they catch bits and pieces of a plan while they still can't even look directly at me.

Running out of time on those bat trees. We're not being pushed quite as hard as you though. No where near the amount of clearing for us.
I took out a pretty big silver maple yesterday for one of my jobs. Finally got to use my 250xp. It's definatly a big jump up from my old bc1250. Easier to feed, takes it better, and produces better chips.

Sunday morning and I'm just fixing to head off to grind stumps all day. Gotta love it!

I've been doing well, busier than hell.

Congrats to your little girl.

My hand(s) are buggered. Life goes on and bills roll in. I'll be popping vitamin I on my way out the door. I don't even feel like whining about it anymore. Lol.

I'm back from my ash climbing project.
No pictures, sorry. I forgot the camera at the hotel the first day and the weather wa so bad the next day that picture taking was out of the question.

Day one was great.
We worked from dawn till it got too dark to climb safely, because they had promised heavy winds and rain/sleet for the second day.
Got a lot done and the guy we worked for was so overcome with local patriotism for his little island, that he took us for lunch at the best restaurant on the island. Yum.

The second day was a horror.
Heavy, cold wind and rain /sleet and snow. We were so frigging cold.
It got to the point where all we could do was laugh at it and press on.
So we had the job done around 4PM. By then it was blowing so hard that on the last tree we had to shoot a gazillion times to set a line, because the wind would make the throwbag go almost horizontally when it left the big shot.
Sure never tried that before.
We decided catch the catamaran ferry home and to hell with a day of sight seeing.
Well, the catamaran ferry was cancelled due to high winds, so we ended up on a big old tub of a ferry instead, taking 6 hours to get to our home island.
It was windy, all right ( The crew were passing out barf bags to the passengers) but after a day in the trees, we hardly noticed that the boat was rolling.
Brought our sleeping bags up in the dining hall and slept the whole way on the floor, finally getting warm.

So we din't get our day of rest, but made a lot of money and in a way, had fun.

Absolutely.
Still got some beech to kill before logging season ends.
We lost the big fir contract. Not by any fault of ours, the State Forest decided that the dead line was too close, so they couldn't get it skidded out in time, so they cancelled.
So it turns out we are not very busy after all.
Life is weird some times!

Wife came over and worked on my computer (hers broke down) doing folks taxes today.

I stayed busy getting laundry, house cleaning, and dishes done and moving wood around & organizing the yard w/mini.

Not looking forward to License bureau and Doctors office tomorrow.:|:

I called someone a rabid raccoon yesterday. Was that bad?
I also told him I had animal control on speed dial in case they had to come with the noose. Was that worse?

Im back after like 7 or so years. (no I wasnt in prison) I couldnt remember my old SN so I came up with a new one. I have been putting off posting on here because I have an addictive personality and would have been glued to the computer instead of dealing with reality. Anywho. Butch caught me on facebook so I thought I better stop in and say hey. Oh and today I got the lovely Marieshka up in a tree working on some basics. the RMC didnt send a female to the ITCC in Tampa this year because no women entered. Here is my ticket to a cool vacation next year.

Marieshka3.jpg

Changed the oil pan on my girlfriend's Hyundai Sonata, now waiting for the RTV to cure......... it's sitting outside ...... hopefully tomorrow. Funny how needed repairs on her car tends to keep her from yelling at me for stupid stuff. ;)

Back