How'd it go today?

Dang Dave. You are amazing. Empowering story. A drunk driver t boned and killed my dad's daughter and wife, killing my half sister and maiming his wife...forgiveness is unfathomable for the vast majority....

more tragedy...damn.

I have two female applicants that might be qualified, as well as a guy.
You guys do a paid working interview day? Try the fit, test the skills?

Some hire and then give a trial run. I figured the proof is in the pudding. Might be a good approach.

At the least, I'll be doing some practical testing during a non-working interview.

You gotta see it to believe it.
One week trial run some kinda probation period.

We've all seen the giant slayer of lore humbled knock knee by the first 60 feet of some euc.

Sean: a trial day with pay, or maybe even two days...sorta let them have a chance to get the feel for your pace and expectations, sounds very reasonable.

Dave, and Rajan: you both are fine men...my hat's off.

Pete: I've had very much the same thing happen. It is very scary, isn't it? Glad that's the extent of it for you.

Jeez Deva. That is seriously tragic.

Need bigger Iron....
I could only move 16" rounds on the last 60 foot of log...
I have several more in this grove and more on the property.. Trying to preserve even the baby trees at this point.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5qm4sShQ56Q?list=UUk58eFKc-ze2LcinTOBaOmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• DSCF0103.jpg
    DSCF0103.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF0104.jpg
    DSCF0104.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF0105.jpg
    DSCF0105.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 44
Your starting to reach into the logging realm with moving stuff that sized.

Make a logging arch to pull with the dingo? Might want a hyd circuit for disk brakes on the arch with your terrain.

Rajan and Dave sorry for your loss and glad to hear you are able to forgive. I know many folks who speed has taken, many from running from cops. Always chalked it up to our stupidity and the random nature of life.

Not paying someone for their work is horrible and unprofessional. It's not our jobs to decide if someone is worthy of money for the time they gave us. It's our job to decide if they are worthy to continue giving us their time. If a potential employer wanted me to come in and display myself and make him money, yet not even pay me bottom dollar for that day, Id hang up and go find a workplace that looked financially stable.

There's a reason we gross 10 times more then our employees each week. It's to be able to cover our way in business financially. Spending a few bucks to sort through a few groundmen is part of where that large gross goes.

Not a swing at you Sean. Just a real honest opinion about asking guys in your community to show up for free. You'll sort it out. I've been where you are many times and i'll be there many more times. I personally bring them in for bottom dollar under the agreement we will talk about a real wage after we've spent a day together.

Not paying someone for their work is horrible and unprofessional. It's not out jobs to decide if someone is worthy of money for the time they have us. It's out job to decide if they are worthy to continue giving is time. If a potential employer wanted me to come in and display myself and make him money, yet not even pay me bottom dollar for that day, Id hang up and go find a workplace that looked secure.

Not paid versus unpaid day of work. Paid day of working interview versus just meeting with them and then doing the trial run.

Some people I can weed out over the phone/ email. These two seem likely to be good. All tree services operate differently, with different flows and expectations, with a lot of overlap across the board.

I need a groundie for some jobs while Will is out of town for Thanksgiving, short notice, like tomorrow, Sat and Sunday, maybe Monday.

If I had more time, and wasn't backed up, I'd schedule a sit-down/ practical (show me a RB, girth hitch, set up on POW, change a saw chain).

Wait I'm lost. Help me out. I'm not understanding "not paid" vs "unpaid". Either way a worker earns no living for their time spent that day.

If you are modeling after big business, those companies pay you for intro/training time. You are on their premises, doing what they require from you. You get compensated for that.

Your starting to reach into the logging realm with moving stuff that sized.

Make a logging arch to pull with the dingo? Might want a hyd circuit for disk brakes on the arch with your terrain.

I was thinking at least a tag axle,which could be quick and cheaper, but an arch would be the way. You could use a brake rope, too, as necessary. I like the hydraulic brake idea.

Stephen, with some logs, you can lift the small, and get a fulcrum under the log and 'walk it' sideways by pushing down with the mini and pivoting the log on the fulcrum by moving the mini, or slide the axle underneath and roll it.

Do you follow? You can save more saw logs that you otherwise would have to cut. Clearly, you need working area for walking logs around.

I posted a picture of this from the backyard 3 fir logging job in October.

Also, lifting with the mini, and putting a pivot point (the right shaped piece of wood) under the COG, will allow you to spin them in place with minimal effort for repositioning purposes.

Rajan and Dave sorry for your loss and glad to hear you are able to forgive. I know many folks who speed has taken, many from running from cops. Always chalked it up to our stupidity and the random nature of life.

In our case all vehicles were going under posted speed limit...just a moment of inattention to the road (adjust radio) was believed cause. It was an accident in the true sense.

The guy was a foreign exchange student from somewhere in Africa, working landscape full time and going to school ft to boot. He was driving a landscape truck and trailer for work at the time and had already been fired from his job by the time he went to criminal court. Having been incarcerated myself a few times I could see nothing good coming from trying to wreck the lives of another family any further.

I would guess the wedge is there out of habit, and the tree had a strong lean to the lay, needed no wedging, so it went over early despite the thick hinge.

Back