How'd it go today?

Cool conveyor.

Finished up a HOA park pruning job. Started a dead fir removal in that neighborhood. Beautiful weather, after a rainy couple work days. Good publicity. More park work to bid. Some neighbors to bid. Pretty chill day.

Firefighterzero,

I'm thinking the log splitter's pump must put out about 11 gallons per minute. The motor on my conveyor was purchased through Surplus Center. It's a high torque, low speed hydraulic motor (79 bucks), but it's still way too fast for the conveyor, so I installed a speed limiter valve inline with the motor, which slows the conveyor to a crawl. The downside is that the valve places a strain on the pump, which causes the hydraulics to heat up when in continuous use. A better valve, with a bypass, would be the way to go here. A bit more expensive, but well worth it I think.

The sawmill needs more power. I'm thinking something in the range of 18 horses would be about right. A Briggs engine producing 18 horses would cost far more than we paid for the sawmill......so something used.....something cheap.......that's what we're after here. Lots of old Wisconsin engines sitting around on these old farmsteads. That's just a cheap option.......not necessarily the best option.....I admit. LOL

Joel

Took a couple of trees out in pouring rain.
We sure are getting rained on lately, hope it stops soon.

Martin and I were hoping to get home early, it being friday. We had a big birch left to wreck out, no clean-up.
I may have said something along the lines of, with the right climber, that thing should be on the ground in ½ hour.
Martin was wet, miserable and didn't want to climb any more, so he told me, go for it old man.

Well, I wrecked that thing out in 27 minutes from the time I put my harness on till I took it off again.
Martin's comment was that every time he felt he was getting good at this, I'd pull something like that and he'd feel like a noob again.
This old man felt pretty good about that:)

Rigged out a good sized cedar over a pool and did some pole saw dead wood on a couple small live oaks. Booked the neighbouring tree owner for mid December prunes on her pair of street trees. Got home to a go pro and two more jobs to check out. Perfect weather life is good!

Wraptor saved me 80 feet of climbing. Chunked down a spar. New septic and back fill seem to have killed it. Rainy day. Nice light, dead limbs made a small amount of clean chunky chips, good for my walking paths, less fines to track in.

Lots of wood split into the truck.

But we don't want to become like AS - I mean ChainsawSite.com.

Welcome to the TreeHouse, SawTroll! :beer:

Oh I don't think we have to worry about TH turning into a chainsaw site, tree climbers always will be dominant here.

I haven't been on AS for years now and don't miss it a bit, don't even lurk on it. But it did get interesting here when all the AS refugees flooded this place a while back.

Any roping in that TD, Stig?

Nope. Just dropping everything in a tightish zone. A lot of it was waiting for the wind to be right before cutting.
Manipulating branches by cutting in different ways is one place where experience favours the old guys, I find:)

Yes agreed Stig, one cut I use dependent on species is a top cut so it rips and holds then finish it so it drops vertically.
Good for birch, oak, willow. Asking for problems on cedar, sycamores (european ones)
Saves time on rigging.

Mick, it was interesting on August's latest tree vid how he, in order to ensure a tear that still has some beef holding it prior to finishing it, cut into the trunk a bit instead of just cutting into the limb or the limb collar.

Saw Troll in da house! Welcome!

I had a nice day, got the go ahead on a 16 tree removal with stumps for the Village here so that will be a nice little check, and I can give the wood to the locals and they do the hauling.

Took a couple of trees out in pouring rain.
We sure are getting rained on lately, hope it stops soon.

Martin and I were hoping to get home early, it being friday. We had a big birch left to wreck out, no clean-up.
I may have said something along the lines of, with the right climber, that thing should be on the ground in ½ hour.
Martin was wet, miserable and didn't want to climb any more, so he told me, go for it old man.

Well, I wrecked that thing out in 27 minutes from the time I put my harness on till I took it off again.
Martin's comment was that every time he felt he was getting good at this, I'd pull something like that and he'd feel like a noob again.
This old man felt pretty good about that:)
wow man seems like all your post for the last week or some you been getting rained on
you might want to built a boat (I hate working in the rain)
It's nice to put a young buck in his place once in a while
its good for both of you

Back