How'd it go today?

Stig, how many per day do you average when logging.

I agree with Butch. Sounds like a polite way of say "I'd rather not fork out the money that your skill set demands".

Good luck, Dave, At least show him how a real tree worker has to eat to be able to do all that hard work well. It might impress him.

Butch & Chris - exactly what I was thinking...Should have seen his eyes when he read what I made at my most recent jobs:O :lol:

thanks for the advice Jay - :lol:

Stig, how many per day do you average when logging.

Easy answer: That depends on how big they are.

Most of that tally stems from my pulp logging days, where I'd do anywhrere from 50 to 150 a day, again depending on size.

This is from last week, I just wanted to show Willie's t-shirt off by the Dead Sea:

P1000465.JPG

Nice picture Stig, guess some Philistine loggers beat you to it.:laughing6:

Took out a couple of crap pines and an Alexander palm plus trimmed a few shrubs. Had to break my rule on not doing palms but there were some extenuating circumstances. Owner won't be around much longer.:(

Got Erik on a HH rope walker for a 60' ascent for a big hanger. Worked two big doug-firs at the first job. I did roof clearance on a 5'er. Got to walk out some limbs to the tips over the corner of the house. A little more balancy than every day climbing. 20' drag and leave.

Funny, the guy is a forester, and told me how he knows the roots go down a longs way. Also, the bigger maple that entirely leans out from under these big conifers has major deadwood and is over the 2 year old toddler's playhouse, and in striking distance of their building. Guess what! There is reason for the major deadwood. The cavity at the base is filled with hypoxylon fruiting bodies, and there are manifestations of cracks/ decay in the bark.

Knocked down a couple small/ medium maples. One of which had major rot, but not a big deal. Erik started topping restoration on a star magnolia. Pretty and fragrant.

Two arm loads of brush in the trailer from the magnolia.

I'm reminded that versatility is the key. Still waiting on my chip truck, which now has a different issue, but have a friend working it out. Next week I expected a haul-off of chips from several days at one property. Instead, I'll just bring a 5x10 trailer with 4' sidewalls, blow chips into it, and leave it locked on the street. Thanks to Craigslist, I expect that people will come and unload it for me during the day or evening, and maybe even leave me some money or bring us a pizza or lunch. Its a school property on Spring Break with parking right next to the street.

Just seems to work out. Chip mulch is in demand.

I also now will have a large pool of semi-screened people to come to my house to load their own chips, until I get a loader. I am just going to put up a free chips sign at our cooperative pre-school. Easy, plus its advertising. Once I have the loader, I reckon I can compost the chips and sell them.

Off to put air shocks on my pick-up. The springs are tired, as is the truck overall. Needed shocks anyway. Get a little boost out of it, and adjust it for hauling. They air shocks are hardly any more money. Give it a try. Worst case is I still get some helper springs.

Now, to keep working on which loader, and when.

Sourced my parts last night at about four bills less than new. The proper parts will be a piece of mind.
The motorcycle calls as its been close to a month and soon to hot to enjoy. Have a great day all.

Did you go for a dip Stig? Those Dead Sea salts are great for several things. I used to soak in Dead Sea salts for my psoriasis. It worked great, but is expensive.

Sure did. Twice in fact.
It is a pretty unique experience to float on the water.
We've been there 36 years ago, but it was nice to do it again.

That water is so saturated that if you stub your toe on something it isn't a rock but a lump of salt.

There are some pretty unique birds around the area as well. Fan tailed raven, Tristram's cracle and a bunch of weird wheatears to name a few.

P1000473.JPG P1000470.JPG P1000463.JPG

No!
When I first visited Ein Gedi in 1976 is was a nature reserve and you needed a permit to get in.
I got a permit because I was travelling with an American biologist from Utah.
It was a magical place, with absolutely no people and amazingly tame wildlife such as Nubian ibex , hyrax colonies and leopard. Not to mention a plethora of birds.
Today there is a huge visitor center, 50 tourist busses and the line of people going across the pass to get in put me in mind of those old pictures from Chilkoot pass during the Klondike goldrush.
Margot thought it looked like people waiting in line to freeze to death on Everest.
So we passed it by.

Here is a picture:

P1000468.JPG

Cut half of a dying silver maple over a property line, and found a guy that will come to the job site and pick up wood and pay me for it. SWEET!

Tame as in without much fear of people.
Like you get in some of the very northern species of owls, that will let you approach quite closely without taking off, since they are unused to mankind and our nasty ways.
I guess I should have worded that a bit better, sorry.

That leopard was anything but tame, he razed one of the hyrax colonies one night.
Talk about noise!

So, after a year with a management position at a larger landscape company I have now taken a position at a large wholesale nursery. Looking at about 480 acres currently under production with perhaps 20% under greenhouse with the rest being field tree production.
My job entails taking care of walkup clients, leading tours for landscape architects and other clients in a pickup around the fields AND tagging trees for dig orders.

After a month at it I actually enjoy going to work again, its been years since I have felt that way. I don't have keys or alarm codes to to the buildings and I do not supervise anyone but myself. I get full access to a 10 or so year old F350 diesel 4x4 crew cab for my jaunts to the field and I have a desk with my own computer inside. I work 0730 to 1630 daily and get paid by the hour. Maybe a few Saturdays in the high season but in general its basically bankers hours.

In the background of the picture is the snow capped mountain area that we camp in regularly although not at significant altitude, yet.

20140312_113414.jpg 20140312_154733.jpg

www.specimentrees.com is the new employer and I am looking forward to a long term career here.

Sweet gig Paul, I'm stoked for you!

Stig, when I was there about twenty years ago, Ein Gedi was still a quiet place. I don't remember there being anyone else there, even though it was already open to the public at that time.

Back