How'd it go today?

Well, it would be serious, if I was stuck. The chains are to prevent the sticking.;)

No winch on the skidder for self retrieval, which I think really sucks, but hey, what are you going to do?:lol:
...skidder w / out winch, hmmmm every move counts ...simply cannot get stuck....tense ....though I suppose a Tirfor w / block could probably get you out with drive assist

...though I am a little far to help , I can relate...the 540B we hired lost the brake on the winch so we could yarn in hitches but when she drove the F'n cable would yarn back out.... we had to fix it...a hydraulic hose leaked onto the dry side of the winch contaminating the brake

Grenaded a U-joint on our big V Plow today on a five mile stretch of tight road. Ahh. . . Winter.

Also took a job to remove two BIG maples behind a house on a descent grade. Homeowner agreed we should wait for better access = less snow. Cool though, I'm going to try spider-legging some larger-ish limbs for the first time. Big wood, I'll post pictures.

download (2).jpg I fought fire working with an interesting piece of equipment a couple of years ago, a skidgeon. It was a log skidder with the grapel taken off and an 800 gallon tank installed. I could not believe where that thing could go. I dont think he had a winch though.

Dave Sheppard, what would it take to mount a good hydraulic winch on your skidder?

A good proper winch is probably about $1,600-1,800. It's pto driven off of the transfer case. We found one last winter, a mechanic had seized it on a mechanic's lien, but then wouldn't sell it to recoup his money.

Dave, on a grapple skidder you can get them unstuck by using the uplift to pull a chain. Slow but sometimes it works and saves you some $$.

Once you have the chains on then you can get real redneck. Hooking a chain in and wrapping it around the tire to pull.

I can't get to sleep after a hard day, never could without a few beers.

Friday night and I had a good week for a change, things have been pretty quiet. Except for last year this has been the worst summer ever for work, people just aren't spending anything unless it has to be done. I'm just hoping it comes good again now all the holidays are over and everyone's back at work, it usually gets going about now but it's doom and gloom on the news and that stops them spending.:(

I'm going to try melatonin. I haven't been sleeping well. A lot of people wake up from alcohol withdrawl a few hours after sleeping, not from it being huge amount, just that their body realizes it doesn't have the happy juice anymore.

Meditation before bed is supposed to help a lot.

:beer::beer:
I'm going to try melatonin. I haven't been sleeping well. A lot of people wake up from alcohol withdrawl a few hours after sleeping, not from it being huge amount, just that their body realizes it doesn't have the happy juice anymore.

Meditation before bed is supposed to help a lot.

I have it on good authority that when you give up the booze after a couple of days you sleep like a baby, right through.
I drink every night so as you describe I'm up at 3 staring into the blackness running problems through my head.
Still it's Friday night so it'd be rude not to....cheers!

I usually sleep great at night but rarely more than 5 hours. If I take more than two naps during the day I won't sleep more than two-3 hrs though.

I usually fall asleep by reading.

I think that watching a favorite (seen many times) movie that isn't too stimulating (crash smash blow up, or watching Graeme videos) is a good way to fall asleep. Something new is more stimulating.

Yes, better than tossing and turning. A simple aquarium is cheap, and sleep inducing, plus if you can't sleep, you can change the water and rearrange the rocks/ decorations in the tank.

You can adjust the light. I will sometimes put a blanket over the tank, leaving a few inches at the bottom visible. Watch a bit of swimming, relax, and have a nightlight. Sometimes, the light is too much to sleep, but enough to get sleeping. Having the switch or plug in reach can help this. Just turn off the light from bed.

Ahh sleep is my long time arch enemy! I've done it all over the last 9 years- ambien, Tylenol pm, melatonin, lavender, teas, lighting, booze, it never ends! One thing I have noticed over the years is that in the colder months with less daylight my sleep problems are worse. On the other end in the nice months I can go months sometimes without issues. Light therapy? I might look into that but if I can't get my mind to stop thinking I don't sleep. I think the key is getting your mind at ease and chemicals don't do that.

I sleep like a log. I couldn't tell you how many movies/tv shows/sports games I have fell asleep and not seen the ending. The times I may difficulty I will concentrate on the color black, and it is lights out within a minute or two. It sounds silly but it has never failed me.

few times I tried Pot, it always put me right to sleep!! It's been years though, so it may affect me differently now.

Back