How'd it go today?

I used to cut out the yolk partially (1/3 or 2/3). Used to be that fat was bad for you. I'm having my cholesterol checked soon. When I was about 20 my cholesterol was about 100. My brother said that I was the only person that he knew of that was lower than him. He's obese. The liver creates cholesterol even if you don't eat it. If you are of that genetic type, you can probably be a vegan and have cholesterol issues (it has to have a liver to have cholesterol in it, none in avocados or olives, for example).

I raised some Mallards once and ate the eggs. It was so long ago I can't recall the exact taste, but I have some recollection that they were good. Ducks are cool, will go for a walk with you.

Yolks = bad. Three a week, at the most.

That is such a far fetched myth, you really should do some research. The yolk is the most important part of the egg. Our bodies need cholesterol. Eggs yolks have HDL cholesterol, which help remove LDL cholesterol from our bodies. LDL cholesterol is the type you want to stray away from.

I use to eat a dozen eggs for breakfast. After doing that for a while I had my blood work done, and guess what? My cholesterol numbers were perfect.

I bet you could destroy a bathroom or clear the shop real quick!
I had a buddy who use to do that in collage and his nik name was stink.

Pickled eggs and sauerkraut washed down with liberal amounts of beer make a deadly combination .It's a form of chemical warefare .

Well there's another freakin storm moving in .I gassed up the Ranger and got another 20 gallons in cans .Carried in a half a face cord of firewood .Mrs. Smith is shopping at the moment replentishing my supply of beer in the magic refridgerater that never runs dry.

I heard any where from 8 to 12 inchs of snow .Fact coincidently just moments ago as I started typing it started snowing .

Tom was out here maybe 3 hours ago to retrieve his skidloader .As much snow as we are supposed to get he can most likely make a few bucks tomorrow digging out driveways and such .I'll probabley get to test out just how good a 50 year old Jeep pushes snow .More than likely a hell of a lot better than a 66 year old man does with a shovel .That's a no brainer .

Were you wearing white?? :D Crotch shot every time.....

Nice score Joel !

We are busy like crazy. Been rain and snow lightly on and off (not enough for our water woes) just enough to get our burn days again. Rob. Katy, myself and the mini just running from job to job burning huge amounts of brush. The mini is speeding up the process and we have finished two jobs a day early. Just move equipment to the next job and route them towards home. Start far and end near. Saves money.
Back to tree work on Thursday and the hand is almost all better. First day with no dressings.... swelling is down. Fingers function almost 90 percent. Happy tree man for sure. All I have been doing is running the mini loading brush on fires. Just a tad more exciting than how I picture stump grinding to be.
Maybe you should holiday out here next winter Chris. Can't pay all that you are used to, but it is better than not :dontknow:

Shopping for a cable skidder. Starting a second company and phasing towards logging. My business plan is to sell a logging job or two to carry me through winters, and see where things go from there......

A reality I am dealing with is the reality of the tree industry in my area. Its not a vibrant industry around here. Im not bailing out of tree work, but Im doing a lot of deep thinking right now about which way to head with my future. The logging industry is healthy around here and has not gone completely mechanized. Skidder and chainsaw loggers do well around here (the smart ones with business skills). I have logging experience, and I have a willing body and mind. Im wrestling right now over investing more into the tree business, or diversifying myself.

Next ya'll will be telling me whole milk is good for you.

Butch, I have an honest question. Its not a rude question. I mean it with sincerity. If you researched what others have suggested about yolks, and found the information to be correct, would you start eating yolks. Or is it a "set in my ways" sort of deal? I don't know squat about cholesterol. You say yolks are bad, others suggested otherwise. Could you be swayed if the facts favored yolks being healthy?

Chris, that is exciting about your potential expansion, good luck with it. Why hasn't mechanization taken over, wrong terrain, wrong trees?

I have high cholesterol naturally, and my doc says to eat as little yolk as possible. I'm also of the school of thought that says if something tastes awesome and requires little chewing, it's not good for you.

Shopping for a cable skidder. Starting a second company and phasing towards logging. My business plan is to sell a logging job or two to carry me through winters, and see where things go from there......

A reality I am dealing with is the reality of the tree industry in my area. Its not a vibrant industry around here. Im not bailing out of tree work, but Im doing a lot of deep thinking right now about which way to head with my future. The logging industry is healthy around here and has not gone completely mechanized. Skidder and chainsaw loggers do well around here (the smart ones with business skills). I have logging experience, and I have a willing body and mind. Im wrestling right now over investing more into the tree business, or diversifying myself.
One thing I have leaned from the really rich and successful is to diversify. Never have all of your eggs in one basket.

Butch. Word.

Cory, I cant answer your question. The terrain can be a little rough, but not enough to hamper mechanized logging for the most part. There are some mechanized outfits, such as the one I worked for. But, there's just as many, if not more companies still hand cutting and full length skidding. Will I get rich, absolutely not. With some extra work and effort during the spring summer and fall, I know I can line up a cut or two to occupy my winters. Hire out the trucking, because hauling your own logs doesn't earn you money unless you are working in high volume. I wont produce enough wood to need a truck running all day long back and forth to a mill.

Rajan, thats my goal. Spread myself out based on the economics and demographics of my region. The tree industry isn't bad here per say, but its not vibrant. 4 month long winters really hold me down. That's a long time to not be working. I go through this each year and its getting harder on me mentally each year. You'd think you get used to it, but I don't. It wears on me even more each year. Not just the money, the downtime itself just wreaks havoc on my mind and my emotions.

Their was an outfit from your area that came way up here (almost to Lake Ontario shore) and logged a woods. One guy came up with his skidder and pulled out several tractor trailer loads. They cleared that out and did it again. Sugar Grove or Sugar something. Sound familiar.

Chris, you have great skills. I know it isn't the ideal, but is there the possibility of working for other companies that are busy during the winter months? Being on call for crane companies I find isn't bad at all, especially knowing the operators. Personally it doesn't bring me a lot of work, but now and then is cool for me. I could get more work i think, but don't like to stray too much from my shop.

No, the other tree companies struggle here in the winter. Sometimes I sub climb. Not enough to even factor it into things. Some guys walk around bullshitting everyone about how busy they are through the winter but its easy to see right through it. I have no shame in saying winters in my region are brutal and I am not exempt from it.

The worst part is getting phone calls from new customers in the winter. Calls where people are getting a few bids. I don't like to even bid them, though I do. if the work is worth 2 grand, someone says 700 in desperation. I don't like that game. Customer wins, you didn't really make money, and you put more wear and tear on your tools. Some of the prices established tree companies are willing to work for during the winter is lunacy. If you aren't making money, why would you go do the work? If you are slow for work and tight for money, working for free doesn't help.

Butch. Word.

Cory, I cant answer your question. The terrain can be a little rough, but not enough to hamper mechanized logging for the most part. There are some mechanized outfits, such as the one I worked for. But, there's just as many, if not more companies still hand cutting and full length skidding. Will I get rich, absolutely not. With some extra work and effort during the spring summer and fall, I know I can line up a cut or two to occupy my winters. Hire out the trucking, because hauling your own logs doesn't earn you money unless you are working in high volume. I wont produce enough wood to need a truck running all day long back and forth to a mill.

Rajan, thats my goal. Spread myself out based on the economics and demographics of my region. The tree industry isn't bad here per say, but its not vibrant. 4 month long winters really hold me down. That's a long time to not be working. I go through this each year and its getting harder on me mentally each year. You'd think you get used to it, but I don't. It wears on me even more each year. Not just the money, the downtime itself just wreaks havoc on my mind and my emotions.

I think you idea of seasonal logging is a good one. In the very early days of my tree work firewood got me through winter and it helps now but is not the only thing going on.

I go through this each year and its getting harder on me mentally each year. You'd think you get used to it, but I don't. It wears on me even more each year. Not just the money, the downtime itself just wreaks havoc on my mind and my emotions.

Lots of good insight in your posts here, Chris. And I feel you on the above sentiment:(

Back